Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

press-ups!!

niknak

Crow
ok, here's the deal... my first training weekend is coming up, I still havnt had my medical or any fitness test! I'm fine with the sit-ups and the run, my only problem is the press(push)-ups!! I've been doing them for about 2 weeks now and I still cant manage to get more than 3 and I know my fitness test is coming up!
basically... can someone give me some advice!? can I still scrape through the fitness test without getting the 5-minimum I've been told I need!? and is it really that much of a big deal? :(

*any advice about this would be really really appreciated!!*

ciao xxx

Do you mean press-ups or pull-ups? Sorry to sound a bit harsh mate, but minimum of 5? That's a load of sh*t. Well, I wasn't as bad as you, but a few months ago I could just about do 20. All I did was do them every day and always get out as many in one go as I can. Now I can do 80 in a go. Sorted

Rowums said:
Do you mean press-ups or pull-ups? Sorry to sound a bit harsh mate, but minimum of 5? That's a load of sh*t. Well, I wasn't as bad as you, but a few months ago I could just about do 20. All I did was do them every day and always get out as many in one go as I can. Now I can do 80 in a go. Sorted

I know... It's seriously bad! but I never done press ups before, so I'm not used to doing them at all!
I think I've only got a matter of days to get more press ups in and I'm wondering if there's an easier way to build up the strength cos I really dont think I'm going to do enough of them in time! so yeah... I'm panicking!

Personally I'm more concerned that your're about to do an initial weekend without having completed a medical first.

Take that issue up with your recruit team.

As for pressups, it's all about practice, but have a chat with the unit PTI about your technique.

But get your medical sorted. Have you get an Army number yet?

At one time, I could only do about 25, then flaking on the floor! What can work, is to do a set of 15 (you can do it!!), then rest for 1 minute, then do another 15, then rest and repeat. When counting, do so in blocks of 15 then before you know it, add all up and you've done 45 and that is per day - which is a good start!
I find that tricep dips seem to help those rhomboids (shoulder muscles) and thus can aid towards press-ups.
The determination you seem to have with running and sit-ups, put to good use with your 'mental block' area!

Very touching that you posted a question which suggests physical frailty on arsse, of all places.

Press-ups really are all about practice. You need to do them several times a day (eg, every time you go for a wee, or make a cup of tea, or whatever). You need to adhere to correct technique. Plus you need to do them to the max each time.

To push yourself as hard as possible, try to do as many normal (ie, with your legs straight) press-ups as you can, then switch to lady press-ups (ie, with your knees on the floor) and crank a few more out. Try to do real press-ups even if you are a lady, although if you are female and really cannot do even one normal press-up then, obviously, do what you can do.

When pushing yourself to the max, don't wimp out on the last few (as this is where the improvement is made): imagine you're trying to push a Chinese tank off your mother or something. Then, as has just been said, rest for a bit and have another go (this advice also applies if you really are pushing a tank off your mum).

I've recommended it before on another thread (people will think I'm on commission) but you should buy "Fighting Fit" by Adrian Weale. It's aimed at military fitness and - crucially, in your case - contains lots of good advice for those starting out.

Dr_Evil said:
Very touching that you posted a question which suggests physical frailty on arsse, of all places.

Press-ups really are all about practice. You need to do them several times a day (eg, every time you go for a wee, or make a cup of tea, or whatever). You need to adhere to correct technique. Plus you need to do them to the max each time.

To push yourself as hard as possible, try to do as many normal (ie, with your legs straight) press-ups as you can, then switch to lady press-ups (ie, with your knees on the floor) and crank a few more out. Try to do real press-ups even if you are a lady, although if you are female and really cannot do even one normal press-up then, obviously, do what you can do.

When pushing yourself to the max, don't wimp out on the last few (as this is where the improvement is made): imagine you're trying to push a Chinese tank off your mother or something. Then, as has just been said, rest for a bit and have another go (this advice also applies if you really are pushing a tank off your mum).

I've recommended it before on another thread (people will think I'm on commission) but you should buy "Fighting Fit" by Adrian Weale. It's aimed at military fitness and - crucially, in your case - contains lots of good advice for those starting out.

Having taken your advice, I have spent the last hour mopping up p1ss in the toilet and carrying out first aid on scalded hands - there must be a better way of press-up practice.........

I find it difficult to believe that you have not had a medical - as you cannot be attested without one, cannot attend training without being attested and cannot be issued kit. You are also not covered by insurance, so if you slip and break your neck your training team is in the crap. Check with your PSAO on all of above and proceed with caution.

dog_soldier said:
Dr_Evil said:
Press-ups really are all about practice. You need to do them several times a day (eg, every time you go for a wee, or make a cup of tea, or whatever).

Having taken your advice, I have spent the last hour mopping up p1ss in the toilet and carrying out first aid on scalded hands - there must be a better way of press-up practice.........

Sorry - doing press-ups with burnt hands in a pool of pish is the best method by miles. Works for the Vietnamese, works for me.

niknak said:
I've been doing them for about 2 weeks now and I still cant manage to get more than 3 and I know my fitness test is coming up! /quote]

You could also try practising your pressup on a bench or on the stairs, so that your body is at an angle and you are not lifting so much weight each time.

msr

just to echo what everybody else has said practice. I had a real problem doing situps when I joined kept practicing before a knew it I was banging out 80-100 in 2 mins. the other way is to keep FFING up and you should get plenty of practice, press up position down!!

Practise and Weights....Simple as.....

And mate, don't worry about it so much, despite what these battle hardened action men say, Press up's are no easy task, even 2 is hard work if you've never done one in your life....

All the Army ask is that you do your best, you won't be ganged f*cked, thrown in the back of a 4 tonner and killed just because you can't do press up's...More like you'll get a funny look of the PTI (they're all up themselves and look down on anyone who isn't as fit as them) who takes your results, get told to improve and move on to the next thing, whatever that maybe...

Chill out yer mad man....

just do em. Really. Kingo's right, as are many others.

But ultimately, find your own way. As long as you go beyond the minimum requirement, hopefully aiming for the highest you can possible achieve, then all shall be fine.

Its a case of mind over matter, though if your physically fooked, but have actually put a bit of effort in, and gritting your teeth and not giving up - then thats alright by me!