Press-ups ... used to "motivate" people

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Mar 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is this a thing of the past?

Can someone tell me the situation if a PTI / non-PTI can issue press-ups if he/she feels the person/persons aren't "sparking"

I'm not talking beasting people, just noticed it had started to happen again more recently and wondered what the official line was?

Cheers

P.S. if this has been covered I'll drop and give you 20...

2. Part of the point of Agai 67 was to make punishments relevant to the crime and give a chance of redress to the perp. Dishing out the "get massives" will work for some people and make some people reach for the nearest lawyer.

3. I’ve always been told you need to be a PTI to award more than 5 push-ups.

4. PTIs can only issue physical punishment I've heard. But would you question it??

Press ups are good for you lol

5. This is what I've heard... but it's nice to know the official line?

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need to do that kind of thing, but people do need to know that pain related learning is the only way sometimes :)

P.S. I can only imagine what the boss will think of this thread lol

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Easy - always keep a PTI present. Failing that, non-PTI DS make note of any feck ups, and pass the note onto the PTI. On the next PT session, the group are split into teams. Feck ups vs non feck ups, and away goes the PTI.

Those who did not feck up get a good quality PT session. Those who didn't - have fun!

7. ARTD general guidelines on Remedial training (Tier 1) wake up exercises for inappropriate behaviour/attitude are rather detailed but in outline, can be given by any instructor/nco (non PT staff) and includes:
    "Press Ups - max of 30 in groups of 10 within a 45 min period"
    But these need to be officially recorded in a Remedial Training Register. However this is depebdent upon what the training establishment/unit CO has specified in his directive.

8. Platoon commanders at ITC Catterick can award 10 to a recruit :lol:

a good formula 8)

9. What he said.

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Classed as "minor sanctions" IIRC?

Only much good as a punishment if 10 press ups every 15 minutes is classed as a hardship.

11. I thought "get down and give me XX" has been replaced with "see that tree rigghhtt over there?"

12. Only in the field :D
    Finding happy stones is a good one

13. Nope, you need a PTI to take you for walkies too.

14. We always were issued with press ups at sandhurst during the first five weeks for crap turnout etc. But we always had to then log them in a folder on the table, outside the Csjt's office. Then after week five it was show parades.

15. i think its a good method cos if you get 80 press-ups you wont do it again..if you cant hack it get out