Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Press ups, Sit ups, Pull ups

Tumbles

Swinger
Hello everyone. I have been thinking about the health and fitness standards required for the Army quite a lot lately as I'm planning on applying this May. One thing I enjoy doing is reading about all the different criteria for different different roles in all the branches of the armed forces and seeing how I measure up to them.

Comparing the fitness standard required upon entry to different parts of the armed forces a couple of questions were raised for me. Firstly, why do outfits like the Royal Marines and The Parachute Regiment have high entry requirements for body weight exercises like press ups? I understand that both the RMC and the Paras are considered "elite" and so they require a slightly higher standard of recruit than other roles, but surely that criteria of being "elite" and "fit" is met simply by the tabs and runs they do? What I'm trying to get it is why does an infantryman not have to do press ups in order to start training (in which, from my understanding, they will be doing press ups regularly) but a recruit for RMC etc will have too? Obviously, not being in the armed forces I don't have any experience of what the physical stress is like when on deployment or exercise but from what I've seen it looks like things like doing cardio and running with a backpack or something would be the most beneficial types of exercises for you to do.

The other thing I am wondering is how beneficial is the training that individuals in any given infantry will go through in terms of their ability to do things like press ups? From what I understand, people in training would be doing press ups regularly either as punishment or in PT sessions, so do people in army infantry generally come out the other end better at doing them or are they just used in training to add a little bit more stress and get the blood pumping?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Press Ups make the body strong and the mind weak. Ideal for the infantry.

Infantry, it's kinda like the army - but for kids.

I'm sure someone will be along with a sensible response shortly.

I was "daggered up" up once upon a time, and to be frank - I wish I'd spent more time on heaves (pull ups) than anything else. More running with weight would have been handy too mind.

Tumbles

Swinger
Press Ups make the body strong and the mind weak. Ideal for the infantry.

Infantry, it's kinda like the army - but for kids.

I'm sure someone will be along with a sensible response shortly.

I was "daggered up" up once upon a time, and to be frank - I wish I'd spent more time on heaves (pull ups) than anything else. More running with weight would have been handy too mind.

I'm pretty confident at this point that I want to go for RAC and do the Light Cavalry role. As of now I am doing long runs around the countryside as well as shorter faster ones maybe 4 times a week, I will also do press ups etc at various stages throughout a given week. Am I on the right track to being ready for ADSC and the training after that?

. Am I on the right track to being ready for ADSC and the training after that?

I'd say so mate, however I was quite possibly the laziest, daggered up bleep you'd ever meet.

FailyScaley

War Hero
All of the things you mention are good because they make one sick after doing a large number of them. A bit like pints of beer or big fat wobbly birds.