Press-ups. simple question...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by TOONarmySOLDIER, Apr 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was reading through the training programme to get you prepared for the adsc and it says for press-ups "Hands shoulder width apart". However, i cannot do press-ups with my hands like this, i have to put them slightly wider, would this be acceptable?
    tbh i can only do about 12 even with my hands wider :(, well its better than the ZERO i could do before...

2. Keep practicing. You can do them with your hands at the right width apart, you're just not trying ;)

3. Thanks for your help but I've done my bit. BTW, 12? Yes, better than zero but only just. :wink:

4. I find some PTI's don't mind and other PTI's can be very strict about hand placement.

Therefore, practise! If you can't do a single press-up by the book, start on your knees ("Girl press-ups"), or with your hands on a bed and build up.

5. Thanks for your help but I've done my bit. BTW, 12? Yes, better than zero but only just. :wink:

It depends if the PTI has a heart and loves young people..... If some are struggling to attain a basic standard he/she (or he-she) may let you cheat a little with a wider stance. Then again he/she may not have been laid in months and find you struggling over a couple of press ups quite arrousing. BTW, the narrow stance is crap, it hits the triceps.

6. i think its because i have long arms (and skinny ;)) that makes it harder to do it in the narrow position. oh well, ill just have to practice...

7. Just work on your triceps and you'll be fine. Once you can knock out ten without a pause then you will be able to construct some sort of press up training.

8. Practice. Do 10 or 20 if you're watching TV and the ads come on, if you feel a little bored, when you get up in the morning, whatever. Just practice a lot and you'll notice improvement.

9. i just pushed out 15 (struggled) with my arms very slightly wider than shoulder width but not as wide as usual.
    it is harder but its because i have long arms, so i bet they would cut me a but of slack, well more i hope haha.
    thanks for your repies guys :1:

10. Keep your shoulders the way they should be, in my opinion 5 correct ones are better than 15 incorrect ones. You may get into the habit of doing them the wrong way. Just advice, well done on your 15, now keep going, it's the only way!
    Good luck in Selection. :D :thumright:

11. Tall and skinny as are lots of serving soldiers. Quit the excuses, and do them properly. Train hard and fight easy ;-)

12. Anyone develop elbow pain doing it by the book? I find I've got to put my arms a litte further appart to ease that, but I don't know why.

13. How many are they looking for you to do to pass?

14. You don't do them at selection. You have to do something like 45 in 2 minutes at basic

15. Ok thanks, i'll double that :D Do i get a cookie?