Press ups...How important are they?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by AntaeusUK, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I am going to the army careers office in leeds next monday to apply and was just wondering what exercises are important during selection. I am not the fittest guy in the world but I can do most exercises apart from press ups. I don't know what it is but I am just terrible at press ups, I can barely do one, yes thats right ONE. But I can do most other exercises and I don't have particularly weak arms. IS there a specific way of doing them? and Are they that important during selection?
  2. Well, considering they will be part of your physical assessment, I would say that they are very important.
  3. Best get practicing m8, you will need them for the BPFA
  4. i dont know if this is a joke or not but if you can only do 1 pressup id wait a bit before starting the selection process.
  5. Looking at his other posts, I'm sorry to say that I think it's genuine.
  6. basically mate have a look on youtube most are the same...just try as hard as you can!...maybe start by doing them on your knees? or hands on your stair looking up?...if you still struggle do pullups to build up some shoulder muscle should help you a bit...try not do hit the wieghts i.e. bench/shoulder press as the same results your after can be achieved without...determination is key here dont give up as results will come good luck mate, PM me if you need help :)
  7. Its just wierd because I can do everything else. I can do sit ups, pull ups, running, carrying heavy weights (I read there was a jerry can carry) and other stuff. I think I must just be doign them wrong. my brother is goign to the AFC Harrogate this year and he said a guy puts his fist on the ground and your chest has to go down to it, is that correct?
  8. Try sacking it and buying an X Box and a pizza.
  9. Ha ha thats helpful. Oh and thanks for the the help white_rabbit, didn't think of youtube, no way am I gonna let a press up stop me from joining. Oh and if anyone knows or remembers how many press ups do you have to do in selection?
  10. It's no longer an assessment/BPFA its a personal fitness test (PFT).

If you are a bloke you need to do 44 in two minutes (22 if you are a bird) and thats proper press ups not the weird break danceing moves with your arse in the air some people try.
  11. 44? Wow, that seems a lot in 2 minutes.
  12. Thats just the minimum.
  13. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Nah, its not. 70-80 is easily doable in that time. Less so for sit ups in my case, as I'm sh it at them. Can do the minimum though.
  14. Tell it how it is. Thats for fannies!

Any less than 65 and your pathetic and should die.

Assuming you are younger than 21.
  15. Wow...I better get dying then :p . But seriously, Which of the tests is it then that is best effort?