Press up technique

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by crashdummy, Jan 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As taken from

"Males must complete 44 press-ups and females must complete 21 press-ups in two minutes. Arms should be fully extended with your hands shoulder width apart, legs should be straight and off the ground. Bend your arms and lower your chest to just above the floor then fully extend your arms again."

Just a quick question on this gents. Assume you are at the top of the press-up with arms fully extended. When lowering your body, at what angle should your upper arms and elbows be relative to the rest of your body? The diagram doesn't show it.

Are you expected to keep your elbows touching your ribacge throughout, letting your triceps take your full weight? Or as long as you follow the instructions taken from the AOSB site above, it doesn't matter.

Sorry if you think this is a stupid question, but I'd rather ask a dumb question and be in the know!;)
  2. It doesn't matter what angle your elbows are at, though if you want to do more pressups don't have your elbows tucked in!
  3. Arm should be shaking like a shitt*ng dog while you make a face like a mong with his co*k caught in his flys then the ptis know you are putting the effort in
  4. It depends on the length of your arms, i find it near impossible to do a press up with my elbows against my ribcage as I have long arms, so do what ever you thinks is easier, in the fitness dvd there are pictures of people doing it both ways
  5. wouldn't it be easier if we did them upsidedown instead?
  6. hell yes lol
  7. or not at all? :D
  8. Thanks guys 8)
  9. Hate to contradict the old and bold, but it does matter!

If you have been on the Pre-AOSB, then you should have been shown the proper technique (which is with arms by the side of the chest), if not, then you will be shown when you attend. Pay attention and make sure you can do it the right way.

Also, see the AOSB sticky in the officer forum. All the info you need can be found there.

best of luck!
  10. Is that true I find it impossible to do them with my arms at my side?
  11. It doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.
  12. But I do now:(

I'll double check with someone on my next fam visit.
  13. It might not matter once you've passed the hell that is P company, but the AOSB set minimum standards and expect applicants to pass them. Why train using a technique different from the one they expect?

To the OP, i found it hard to do them that way when i started, but just keep practising them and build up gradually. You should also practice tricep dips.

Best of luck
  14. I'll second Agent Smith here the DS on the ASOB take great pleasure in saying "Don't count that one, or that one" so keep those elbows tucked in close to your body. Also it's worth mentioning that they're hot on keeping your body stiff so don't pop up your chest followed by your arrse as you just get the same answer.