Press up problems

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vaughany, Jun 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in training for the forces at the moment and i'm trying to get my press ups to an acceptable level. However, i've hit a snag. 2 weeks ago I was able to do 25 straight off in rapid succesion, now my arms tighten up and the tendons in my arm joints feel stretched and sore. Do you know if this is normal or should I just not try to much in one go.

2. Do 10 or so every time you go for a pssi and build up. Small and often. Will soon be able to do loads no probs

3. if you have a bathroom at home where you can put your hands on the bath edge and stretch your legs out you've cracked it. You can do wide arm/close arms presses on the bath edge and therby not over do it with you whole weight to start off with. you can go mad for it every time you go into the bathroom, and before long you won't be able to leave unless you've done 30/40/50 etc...Make sure you BREATHE when you do them anyway, always a good idea to have some oxygen in you!!

4. I'm no means an expert but if your having a few problems do them woman style on your knees and like creepy says wide arms should help - you work a wider group of muscles. the above will still give you a workout, albeit a gentler one.

5. When I was trying to join I was 5"5' and seven stone; the pressups were a serious issue (I could do twelve) so I did as many as I could every night and every morning, and within weeks I was doing fifty in under a minute. Just be careful not to injure yourself, eat plenty of protein and keep practising.

6. But not in a public toilet! :p

7. Try this ( http://hundredpushups.com/ ). Just make time for it, you only have to get up 10 minutes earlier every mon, wed and friday morning, try it.

8. Cheers, i'm going to do little and often for three weeks girly, wide arm and manly alternating each day. I'm also going to do more tricep dips which should help.

9. Are we talking about proper pushup's or floor shagging? I'm sure if i was doing the latter, i'd be hitting triple figures in 2 minutes.

10. Strech and do 4-5 sets of 10-20 pressups a day, you will be able to increase this over time.

11. I was awful at press ups and could just about manage 10.

I started doing 10 three times a day and increased it by one press up every day. It became easy until I reached 50 and for some reason I'm in alot of pain by that stage. Whereas before the pain stopped, say after 40 became easy then 45 but I'm stuck at 50 no matter how many times I do it. I can squeeze 60 at a push but rarely try to.

Regulating breathing is important too.

12. This wont help the ceasing or anything, but stretch beforehand!!! I have purple stretch marks around my arm pits because of the lack of stretching, lovely!

13. I recommend doing press ups on top of a (willing) female. Unless, of course, you are a female, in which case I recommend doing them on top of me.

14. I've been doing pressups everyday for over 3 months now.
    3-4 sets of ten everyday, sometimes twice a day, with random sets of 10 throughout the day.
    And, I'm getting nowhere - I can do about 15-20 in one go (which I could do in my first 2 weeks) and when I get to the 3rd or 4th set I can hardly get up to 10 without compomising my form.
    I don't think I could even do 30 pressups in 2 mins as my arms get so tired.

I just don't know what else I can do