Press stud removal

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by gorilla, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know how to remove press studs from a para smock without damaging it?
  2. High speed drill

Edit ,Without damaging what? the smock or the press stud ?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PE4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. HESH
  5. Take it to a tailor.
  6. Without damaging the smock, i wear one for shooting on the weekends, the rattle is starting to annoy me.
  7. Use a drill (slightly larger than the hole in the middle) on the slowest speed and VERY carefully drill out the middle of the stud.

8. Why a slow speed ? if they are brass a high speed would be better than slow to reduce "grabbing " would it not ?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I have found that doing it slowly often prevents me going too far. Indeed when I have done it in the past it has been without the aid of an electric drill. It works for me.

10. Slow speed means if it catches you can stop and not wrap the smock around the drill bit.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Set fire to it. The stud will end up slightly tarnished, but otherwise undamaged.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It's a fine line between rape and murder, glad you've got it in hand.
  13. 'Cos it's a para smock.^_~
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Press stud?

They are pressed together so they should split apart again if you slip the wire cutting jaws of a pair of pliars between the two halves of the stud that make up the male and female parts of the popper.

Drill them out and I bet you end up with the bit grabbing the cloth and ruining it.

Or save the effort and go and buy a new jacket that actualy keeps out anoying things like rain and wind.