Press release: Statement from Sir Mark Sedwill on the Salisbury attack

On Monday EU foreign ministers expressed “unqualified solidarity” with the UK after the terrible attack in Salisbury and gave their support for our efforts to bring those responsible for justice, demanding urgent and full answers from the Russian government. EU ministers agreed the need to focus on the implications of this shocking incident.

Tomorrow the Prime Minister and other EU leaders will discuss this at the European Council. I came to Brussels today as part of the preparations for those discussions.

I had the opportunity to meet the High Representative and other senior EU officials and to brief representatives of all the Member States.

I set out the reasons for our clear assessment of Russian responsibility, the measured but clear response we were taking, the wider pattern of malign behaviour into which Salisbury fits, and the importance of a renewed and wider international focus, including from the EU, on the challenge Russia represents to our shared interests and values.

It was clear from my discussions not only the strong solidarity with my country but also the shared sense of gravity and determination to look carefully, calmly but purposefully at the implications, given the high stakes involved for our shared European security and the rules based international order.

Continue reading...

Trumps out so that leaves us with the grand sum of f-all. Boris has gone full whack-job. Putin to Hitler isn't a viable comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

Trumps out so that leaves us with the grand sum of f-all. Boris has gone full whack-job. Putin to Hitler isn't a viable comparison by any stretch of the imagination.
Trump's out? Only the other day he said:
Trump says it 'looks like' Putin was behind gas attack in Britain | Daily Mail Online
'It certainly looks like the Russians were behind it,' Trump said, following fury in Great Britain over the poisoning using a chemical agent that is manufactured in Russia.

'Something that should never ever happen. And we’re taking it very seriously as I think are many others,' Trump said.
Has he changed his mind? The recent sanctions imposed by the US mention the Salisbury arrack as well:
A senior national security official told reporters about the sanctions, which the Treasury Department rolled out more than a year after the election interference campaign took place.

'These sanctions target a wide range of Russia's destabilizing activities, including interference in the 2016 U.S. election, said the official.

''We continue to be very focused ... on pressuring Russia for its continued efforts to destabilize Ukraine, occupy Crimea, meddle in elections, as well as for its endemic corruption and human rights abuses.'

And 'the recent use of a military grade nerve agent in an attempt to murder two United Kingdom citizens further demonstrates the reckless and irresponsible conduct of its government,' the official said.

Why the hell Not?

Non democratic ruler who is strengthening his grip on power whilst making "harmless" land grabs because it's "technically always been his" and now seeks to validate his rule on the world stage with a sporting event.

Sounds pretty familiar. Even if just to remind people where things have gone wrong in the past.

Trump's out? Only the other day he said:
Trump says it 'looks like' Putin was behind gas attack in Britain | Daily Mail Online

Has he changed his mind? The recent sanctions imposed by the US mention the Salisbury arrack as well:
Yeah looks like the POTUS is taking a real tough stance....

"I called President Putin of Russia to congratulate him on his election victory (in past, Obama called him also). The Fake News Media is now crazed…Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing. PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH! " Trump's Facebook account, just posted.

So once again scalieback, your verbose, boring ramblings mean nothing.

Why the hell Not?

Non democratic ruler who is strengthening his grip on power whilst making "harmless" land grabs because it's "technically always been his" and now seeks to validate his rule on the world stage with a sporting event.

Sounds pretty familiar. Even if just to remind people where things have gone wrong in the past.
Are you for real?

Yeah looks like the POTUS is taking a real tough stance....

"I called President Putin of Russia to congratulate him on his election victory (in past, Obama called him also). The Fake News Media is now crazed…Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing. PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH! " Trump's Facebook account.
Your point was "Trumps out so that leaves us with the grand sum of f-all." He's not 'out' on condemning the CW attack and the Brit stance that it is 'highly likely'. If he chooses to congratulate Putin (which puts him in the same camp as Juncker), that's up to him. Whether he read or ignored the brief 'Do Not Congratulate' is a separate issue.

Turbo Godwin’s is a ******* ridiculous situation. We are all doomed

Your point was "Trumps out so that leaves us with the grand sum of f-all." He's not 'out' on condemning the CW attack and the Brit stance that it is 'highly likely'. If he chooses to congratulate Putin (which puts him in the same camp as Juncker), that's up to him. Whether he read or ignored the brief 'Do Not Congratulate' is a separate issue.
Careful you could start a housefire with all those strawmen you're carting around, or scare off a few thousand rooks. Dear god man, it's in black and white, Trump is not doing anything to Russia can't you read man?

Careful you could start a housefire with all those strawmen you're carting around, or scare off a few thousand rooks. Dear god man, it's in black and white, Trump is not doing anything to Russia can't you read man?
Which straw man would that be? The fact that you've taken Trump's congratulations to Putin as being opposed to supporting the UK that it is 'highly likely' to be Russia in the CW attack? If you want to compare two different things, feel free. They're not the same but try and marry them up as much as you like.

E2A: Sparks fly in Moscow as Russia, Britain trade accusations over spy...
U.S. President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron reiterated solidarity with Britain in a telephone call on Wednesday and “agreed on the need to take action to hold Russia accountable”, the White House said.

Last edited:
No shit.

You're trying to win a debate by acting like a sullen child. Here's a tip:

Use point, evidence, explanation. I'll even do one for You.

Point: Putin is not the same as Hitler
Evidence: He hasn't consolidated power at the expense of a race.
Explanation: by this point, Hitler would have created gettos and concentration camps. Therefore, the two are not comparable.

There you go. Excellent point sir, you're right. However, in my opinion they are behaving similiarily on the world stage.

And the debate continues, yada yada

No shit.

You're trying to win a debate by acting like a sullen child. Here's a tip:

Use point, evidence, explanation. I'll even do one for You.

Point: Putin is not the same as Hitler
Evidence: He hasn't consolidated power at the expense of a race.
Explanation: by this point, Hitler would have created gettos and concentration camps. Therefore, the two are not comparable.

There you go. Excellent point sir, you're right. However, in my opinion they are behaving similiarily on the world stage.

And the debate continues, yada yada
Here's one for you which you may not be aware of....ready?......... Putin hasn't ordered genocide as far as I'm aware, and if so certainly not on a mass scale. Now go try your tesco value academia with someone else. Of course if you have any evidence of this I'd be more than willing to read it. Also, Hitler was in power from 33-45, Putin from 2000 to now annnnnnnd still no genocide. So your timescales are ever so slightly off.

If you honestly believe the two are even slightly comparable in anything other than a mud-slinging, Daily Star headline type of way then I pity your grasp on reality and even more pity those around you.

Last edited:
It was clear from my discussions not only the strong solidarity with my country but also the shared sense of gravity and determination to look carefully, calmly but purposefully at the implications, given the high stakes involved for our shared European security and the rules based international order.
Shouldn't there be a finite verb somewhere in that sentence to make it a meaningful utterance? Or is it just me being a grammar Putin?

Here's one for you which you may not be aware of....ready?......... Putin hasn't ordered genocide as far as I'm aware, and if so certainly not on a mass scale. Now go try your tesco value academia with someone else. Of course if you have any evidence of this I'd be more than willing to read it. Also, Hitler was in power from 33-45, Putin from 2000 to now annnnnnnd still no genocide. So your timescales are ever so slightly off.

If you honestly believe the two are even slightly comparable in anything other than a mud-slinging, Daily Star headline type of way then I pity your grasp on reality and even more pity those around you.
You're a ******* idiot.

I clearly said he hasn't committed genocide, thus giving you a valid argument to work with as opposed to spouting childish drivel.

It's absolutely no good trying to have a civilised discussion with you because can't even read my posts properly, let alone counter my arguments with logic and balanced opinions.

Restating "you can't even compare the two" numerous times is not an effective way at changing someone's mind or even a valid form of discussion.