Press release: Foreign Secretary: We cannot allow chemical weapons to be used with im

Ministry of Defence said:
In a news interview today, Foreign Secretary William Hague spoke about the need for a strong international response to the chemical weapons attack near Damascus on 21 August.
The Foreign Secretary said:
“We are clear in the British Government that it was the Assad regime that carried out this chemical attack, large scale chemical attack, last Wednesday that has led to the deaths, the agonising deaths, of so many hundreds of people including, tragically, so many children. All of the evidence points in that direction, in that one direction. The eye witness accounts, the fact this area was under bombardment by the regime forces at the time that the chemical attack took place. It all points in that direction to the responsibility of the regime and, of course, this is a regime that possesses chemical weapons stockpiles and has used chemical weapons in the past including on a smaller scale over the last year.
“If the regime believed somebody else had carried out this attack then they would have given access to the UN inspectors several days ago, it was last Wednesday night that we and other countries called for that at the United Nations Security Council. They’ve refused that up till now, they have continued to bombard with artillery the areas concerned east of Damascus which, of course, may have destroyed some of the evidence.
“So we have to be realistic now about what the UN team can achieve. They will no doubt work hard at it but the fact is that much of the evidence could have been destroyed by that artillery bombardment, other evidence could have become degraded over the last few days and other evidence could have been tampered with. So we have to recognise that it is evidence some of which could by now have become compromised.
“So in the light of that we’re focused in the British Government on how we respond to what has happened. The Prime Minister has discussed that with President Obama, they are agreed there must be a serious response by the international community. We can not in the twenty first century allow the idea that chemical weapons can be used with impunity, that people can be killed in this way and that there are no consequences for it. And so we believe it’s very important that there is a strong response and that dictators, whether they are Assad or other people who might slaughter their own people or attack the people of any other country know that the use of chemical weapons is to cross a line and that the world will respond when that line is crossed.
“So we’re focused on that, we’re discussing that with the United States and, of course, with many other countries around the world and we will keep everyone up to date with where we get to.”
Commenting on options for responses by the international community, he said:
“Well I don’t want to go in to those options now for obvious reasons, we are discussing them with the United States and with other countries. It’s very important to act in accordance with international law and, of course, to have widespread international support for making sure that chemical weapons can’t be used with impunity. But we will be deliberating about the options over the coming hours, we will have further meetings within the Government tomorrow and we’re in close consultation really every hour through today with our allies and partners so further detail on that will emerge in due course.”
Visit the UK and Syria website pages
Follow the Foreign Secretary on twitter @WilliamJHague
Follow the Foreign Office on twitter @foreignoffice
Follow the Foreign Office on facebook and Google+
[h=3]Media enquiries[/h] Email newsdesk@fco.gov.uk
Telephone 020 7008 3100

More...

No thanks.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Tally ho, it'll all be over by Christmas.

D

Davetheclown

No thanks, stop meddling and siding with countries that you have no cultural awareness off.

Thank you,

I'll make the spare room up, just in case we have to billet anyone passing through on the road to Damascus.

Howsabout he stops playing with other peoples' countries and sorts the traffic lights out in his own jolly well constituency?

Best dust your Osprey off boys and girls.

The idiots currently in power seem determined to get you mired in another Middle Eastern 'Adventure'.

I wonder what the Syria Medal will look like. Probably a wooden cross.

Well, Assad has called the Leader's bluff, so now what is he going to do? :? Personally I wouldn't be bothered if Obozo wanted to fly to Damascus and jap-slap Assad silly, but I won't be following him on such a fool's errand. Iraq and Afghanistan is all I can stand and I can't stand no more.

Ugly Obozo.jpg

How can hague be certain it was assad? Is this the same 'certain' as the certain that iraq had stacks of wmd,s? The guy ids a ool, and I want to see evidence not hearsay from hague. Even if assad did perpatrate the ttack, so what....its not our business. Our government shiuld be concentrating on sorting out our own country and the mess that labour left it in rather then some far away county.

Here we go again. Perhaps the big Defence Companies have been lobbying their respective Governments in the US, UK and France!

Added to fact there will be a serious lack of public support for getting too involved in Syria.

Leave it to the Russians and Iranians to sort out.

How can hague be certain it was assad? Is this the same 'certain' as the certain that iraq had stacks of wmd,s? The guy ids a ool, and I want to see evidence not hearsay from hague. Even if assad did perpatrate the ttack, so what....its not our business. Our government shiuld be concentrating on sorting out our own country and the mess that labour left it in rather then some far away county.

It's Iraq deja vu, isn't it?

Innocent people are being gassed. Should we ignore that as we ignored the plight of European Jews in the 1930s? Of course not. As one of the worlds major military powers, we are obligated to act.

On the other hand, what to do? Limited support for the opposition will do nothing but prolong the conflict. The opposition seems to be very largely composed of islamo nutters so any weapons supplied to the opposition will likely end up in Afghanistan or London.

A full scale invasion would certainly provide both sides with something new to shoot at. Assad has seen what happened to Saddam Hussein and al Q leaders in Afghanistan so he'd fight to the death. Unless NBC suits have come on in leaps and bounds since my day, very many gasping, frothing, twitching squaddies will be coming back to the UK for a lifetime of disability, or worse.

Al Qaeda will not be happy about more infidels befouling the lands of the prophet. Any long term occupation will be met with the type of guerilla warfare that has become all too familiar in Afghanistan.

Free and fair elections after a quick bout of regime change are likely to return the Muslim Brotherhood or something similar, with access to infrastructure that can manufacture chemical weapons. It's hardly worth spilling the blood of our soldiers for that. Is it?

So it's time for William Hague and his advisers to earn their wages. I don't envy their job.

One massive powder keg! Would make Iraq look like a kiddies tea party

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
On one hand, thank Christ Herrick 19 will be my last before I finish my 24 years and they won't be able to send me to yet another shithole in the name of oil (cough) sorry, I mean "breaking up a regime".

But on the other hand, I do feel concerned for those staying in and what it'll mean for them.

Personally I'd like to see the clowns in government push this through and watch in horror as every single squaddie logs on to JPA and performs the seven clicks to heaven.

Have they not learned anything from Iraq?

D

Davetheclown

No evidence has surfaced yet, no bomblets, no chemical shells, no fog devices, no misfires.

The whole thing stinks,

Latest Threads