Press release: Foreign Secretary urges de-escalation in southern Israel and Gaza

Commenting on rocket attacks by Palestinian militant groups on Israel and Israeli air-strikes on Gaza, Foreign Secretary William Hague said:

I am deeply concerned by the recent escalation of violence in Gaza and southern Israel. I condemn the firing of rockets into Israel by Gaza-based militants. The UK calls on Hamas and other militant groups to stop these attacks. The people of Israel have the right to live without constant fear for their security; the people of Gaza also have the right to live in peace.

All sides must do their utmost to act with restraint and avoid the loss of innocent life. I was deeply saddened to hear there have already been civilian injuries.

All sides have a responsibility to respect in full the November 2012 ceasefire, and to address the underlying causes of conflict and instability in Gaza. A dangerous escalation is in no one’s interest, and would be harmful to prospects for the Middle East Peace Process.
Further information

Follow the Foreign Secretary on twitter @WilliamJHague

Follow the Foreign Office on twitter @foreignoffice

Follow the Foreign Office on facebook and Google+

Media enquiries

Email newsdesk@fco.gov.uk

News Desk 020 7008 3100

Continue reading...

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done Bill, that will calm things down.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think the spat of cross border murders might be worthy of comment, or it that just normal these days?

I assume Hague feels that he is doing something constructive when he spouts his weasel words and condemns that and that.

It is a shame that none of his staff have the bottle to tell that he is p*ssing in the wind and no-one who matters will be listening to him.

Rodney2q

Latest Threads