Press release: Foreign Secretary condemns deluded Assad

Commenting on Bashar Al Assad’s remarks today, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said:

Assad is deluded or lying when he says his military are not murdering hundreds of innocent civilians with the use of barrel bombs. His regime has waged a brutal campaign against the Syrian people, using crude and indiscriminate weapons and prevented access to life-saving humanitarian assistance.

Assad’s forces have systematically murdered, tortured, raped and imprisoned Syrians. There can be no doubt that he is the problem, not part of the solution. The UK’s position has not changed, we have no dialogue with Assad; there must be a political transition to a future in which Assad has no part.
Further information

Follow the Foreign Secretary on twitter @PHammondMP

Follow the Foreign Office on twitter @foreignoffice

Follow the Foreign Office on facebook and Google+

Media enquiries

Email newsdesk@fco.gov.uk

News Desk 020 7008 3100

Continue reading...

alib

LE
Well he is an awful lying bastard that makes IS look tentative with war crimes but do keep up, it's parachute-borne vacuum missiles they have started dropping now.

And I seriously doubt the FO is using the Iraqis "or others" as an intermediary with Assad like he says the US are, like some bunch of Eagle Scouts.

ACAB

LE
Assad is no more deluded than our own brand of complete and utter morons who, two years ago, were talking about giving UK arms and assistance to moderate 'rebels'. Like there is such a thing.

I saw the interview with Assad and I have to say he never stated that his troops weren't dropping barrel bombs. When Bowen asked if his troops were indiscriminately killing innocent civilians by dropping barrel bombs (Typically loaded reporter question), he said he only knows about bombs, missiles and bullets and they were being used in a targeted way (Ergo not indiscriminately). He also didn't say that innocent civilians weren't being killed, instead he made the incontrovertible point that there are casualties in war.

So in effect he agreed that his troops were using barrel bombs, in a targeted way, and that they cause unavoidable civilian casualties. Seems like he has a better grasp of English grammar than the twunts analysing what he said.

BTW I am not an Assad fan.

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hammond calls Assad deluded ,Assad would call the British foreign secretary an irellevant voice.

Assad has one choice die or live ,its not a war where the Geneva convention has any place .

its also an uncomfortable fact that many Syrians want Assad to remain.

Confirmation right there that we are indeed in secret talks with him.

S0I

LE
Hmmmmm…

killed by 1,000lb bomb or killed by 45gal barrel full of TNT?

Killed by big bang or killed by big bang… can't see the issue with one being delivered in the form of a light case bomb.

And as for Asaad?

Yes Minister, but you seem to have forgotten that we were only a vote away from you siding up with the beards who are big on chopping off heads and burning people alive in snuff movies.
I bet the residents of northern Syria wish they could have the 'bad old days' back now they have been 'liberated' from Asaad by ISIS.

Last edited:

spaz

LE
Hmmmmm…

killed by 1,000lb bomb or killed by 45gal barrel full of TNT?

Killed by big bang or killed by big bang… can't see the issue with one being delivered in the form of a light case bomb.
Come on keep up, think of the defense industry. Those barrel bombs must cost fuckall.

alib

LE
I wrote this yesterday.

The regime is despicable but I don't think we're running out of moral high ground to squawk from. We never should have indulged our ME allies in their proxy war. It was neither moral nor wise policy to stoke this sectarian war of attrition and that cannot be solely blamed on Assad's side.

Anybody who still maintains "there must be a political transition to a future in which Assad has no part" is either living in a self righteous fantasy world or being baldly dishonest in an effort to toady to certain parties. The only likely future involves sitting down with a regime of well documented war criminals that's survived as we do with the Russians or facing its collapse and the "cleansing" of Syria's religious minorities by the various mobs of Takfiri and their allies.

A public enquiry into this government's policies in the region may be called for, another thick coat of whitewash looks to be necessary a few years down the line.

alib

LE
Come on keep up, think of the defense industry. Those barrel bombs must cost fuckall.
Stop that, if we go back to dumb ordinance it'll kill their profit margins.

Assad is no more deluded than our own brand of complete and utter morons who, two years ago, were talking about giving UK arms and assistance to moderate 'rebels'. Like there is such a thing.
Blame Bowen, he's had the infantile fantasy that there were 'peace loving democracy protesters' and 'moderate rebels' since before the region caught fire. And in Tripoli, Benghazi and Cairo.

His piece last year on how if we'd only bombed Assad and armed the 'moderates' then it'd be a land of milk and honey was buttock cringingly naïve

Stop that, if we go back to dumb ordinance it'll kill their profit margins.
Yep we have enough stupid laws as it is:-D

On a more sensible note the real politik is that Assad is not going to go away. He personally is in a war of national survival because if he (l'etat c'est moi) loses he is dead meat and Syria will fragment into a bunch of warring factions.

And if anybody has the cojones to deal with the IS it is him. The Russkis aren't daft.

I seem to remember that last year Assad said, or somebody said about him; he doesn't have to win, he only has to not lose to be successful.

Latest Threads