Press Regulation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by samain11, Nov 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. More and more MP's from across all party's seem to be moving towards some form of press regulation. My problem with this is...even limited regulation won't stay limited for long once the principle is established, and who will the main beneficiaries be?
    Even a cursory search turned up the following...out of a group of people totalling 650 (guess who)...the following turned up.
    29 accused of spouse abuse.
    7 arrested for fraud.
    19 accused of writing bad cheques.
    117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses.
    3 have done time for assault.
    71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit.
    14 have been arrested on drug related charges.
    8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
    21 are currently defendants in lawsuits.
    84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year.

Would we still be able to find these things out if they got their way?

I know that they are supposed to reflect their constituencies, but they can't all be representing voters in Liverpool....surely.

2. There is already statutory regulation of the press, in the form of the Defamation Act 1996 and the Human Rights Act 1998.

3. The press thought it was acceptable behaviour to hack the phones of dead soldiers relatives on the off chance of finding a girlfriend/wife was having an affair.

I'm sorry if you think thats an acceptable story to print or even go looking for then you need to be regulated. Much like the banks have proved some people dont know when to stop.

I like the bit about the voters in liverpool.:)

4. 2 scots ???

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hacking phones is already illegal as is just about everything else the press is accused of.

All that is needed is for existing laws to be enforced properly.

The answer is not any sort of regulation controlled directly or indirectly by politicians.

I liked the crack about Liverpool as well.

6. One small point - the figures are complete bollocks. Apparently, exactly the same numbers of US Congress and of the Canadian parliament committed/were accused of exactly the same number offences. In 2009. And again in 2010. And once more in 2011, and...

And the 2009 appearance was a 10th anniversary commemorative appearance, since it first cropped up in 1999.

snopes.com: Congress Wrongdoings