Press freedom in the United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Le_addeur_noir, Oct 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A recent report released by Reporters Sans Frontieres(reporters without borders) lists the index of press freedom in each country,

link (hope this works)

Interesitng to see how low the UK is on this list,with 8 Eastern European countries and El Salvador ahead of us.

Press freedom and democracy under threat in the UK?.

New Liarbore can hardly be called the bastions of free speech.

The UK's ranking 2007 30
    2006 27
    2005 23
    2004 29
    2003 26
    2002 21

The most free country-Finland (1)
    The least free country North Korea(167)

Interesting to note the Israeli occupied terrortories have greater press freedom than most Arab countries.Not that this goes reported in the media.
  3. Considering we live in a country where all and sundry are terrified of the press, where politicians go out of their way to buddy up to the big press magnates. Where government and media conflict on a daily basis and where newspapers are aloud to print lies (Daily Hate and the Scum) without anything being done against them, I fail to see how this can be true.

If indeed it's N.I. that is throwing the statistics off then I think we can the conclude the survey is bugger all use telling us about what is happening in the rest of the UK.