Presidential elections in Moldova

Does that mean Moldovan accents sound like the Count from Sesame Street?

I'd care more if they did.
Sound Russian mate. They all speak Russian, or at least all the ones I met did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've missed my point completely and you're arguing by using whataboutism again.

I'd be very surprised if there was no corruption at all whatsoever even in the top scoring country and also in the US.

And it speaks volumes why you picked out the US to point out corruption in other countries.

You said there was virtually no corruption in Russia in comparison with Ukraine. I'm just pointing out you have nothing to crow about as Russia's score and ranking is not that much better.

And it seems the anti corruption campaigns in Russia are fairly selective in that it's only either for show or to move against those that Putin picks as victims.

The Loyalty of Fear

Ulyukayev's Arrest Is a Tectonic Convulsion for the Russian Government
Well, I propose not to use any (apparently politically motivated) ratings.
As I have said previously, corruption in Russia is a big problem. As for Ukraine then corrition here is modus vivendi where corrupted power even doesn't imitate fight with corruption.
Meanwhile former deputy governor of Sankt-Peterburg was detained - corruption, fraud. Allegely about $12-13 mln. were stolen by him.
2 deputy governors of Kemerovo area (in Siberia) along with senior figures in law-enforcement structures were detained. They demanded bribe in form of shares of coal mine that cost about $16 mln.

Transparency International: Russia One of the Most Corrupt Countries
Must be political motivation. I mean after the economy and health it's third on the list of concerns of Russian citizens :rolleyes:

What is it about these former Soviet countries that leads to such high levels of corruption? Is it inherited? Instilled?
"These studies suggest that corruption is perceived by Russians as the third most important problem in the country after the economic situation and the respondents' health; corruption is a more important topic than education, unemployment, and crime," the report states.

Russian respondents also said they were unlikely to report instances of corruption. When asked why, 17 percent said that it was dangerous, 16 percent felt it made no sense, 14 percent believed it would be too difficult to prove, and 11 percent were afraid to admit their own involvement in corruption.

Transparency International: Russia One of the Most Corrupt Countries
Must be political motivation. I mean after the economy and health it's third on the list of concerns of Russian citizens :rolleyes:

What is it about these former Soviet countries that leads to such high levels of corruption? Is it inherited? Instilled?
I also would like to quote your source
Along with Russia, some of the most corrupt countries were Armenia, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Serbia, and Lithuania.
Lithuania? EU country is one of the most corrupted in Europe?

I also would like to quote your source

Lithuania? EU country is one of the most corrupted in Europe?
Which part of 'former Soviet countries' did you not understand?

Agreed on Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina, albeit that is probably more 'Communist influence' and Serbia does have a long standing relationship with Russia IIRC :)

The new presidents of Bulgaria and Moldova are less pro-Russian than advertised
Looks like the Moldavan election may have to be rerun. I can't see anything more recent than this article from mid November though. We await any appeal unless somebody knows more:
Mr Dodon’s side brought several thousand residents of the Russian-controlled breakaway territory of Transnistria, where there was no balloting, into government-controlled Moldova. Ms Sandu would have done well among the Moldovan diaspora in the West, but not Russia, but ballot papers at Moldovan embassies in several Western countries ran out or disappeared. On November 14th protesters took to the streets in Chisinau, claiming that Ms Sandu had been cheated of victory. She says she is going to challenge the elections in the country’s constitutional court, claiming they were rigged.

The new presidents of Bulgaria and Moldova are less pro-Russian than advertised
Looks like the Moldavan election may have to be rerun. I can't see anything more recent than this article from mid November though. We await any appeal unless somebody knows more:
Both presidents are not pro-Russian. They are respectively pro-Moldavian and pro-Bularian. Buth try to sit on two chairs. Both don't plan to severe ties with the EU and both wish to establish mutially profitable relations with Russia. Yes, both are jsut head of state - not PM. However, the result of the elections reflects the will of the people on both countries that can not be just ignored.

Both presidents are not pro-Russian. They are respectively pro-Moldavian and pro-Bularian. Buth try to sit on two chairs. Both don't plan to severe ties with the EU and both wish to establish mutially profitable relations with Russia. Yes, both are jsut head of state - not PM. However, the result of the elections reflects the will of the people on both countries that can not be just ignored.
I tend to agree that both are pushing for what they can get from both 'camps' albeit I disagree on their leaning especially when quotes about severing ties with the EU are bandied and we have a PM in Bulgaria resigning. Btw, you said he was pro Moscow: Presidential elections in Moldova
Read the HOTO notes

The main point was a possible re-run of the election.

All of this state wide endemic corruption in these former Sov states is frankly alarming and makes me wonder whether any former Sov state will be (relatively) corruption free ever let alone in decades if they're still like this after 25 plus years

Ms.Sandu still hasn't filled complaint to the Constitutional Court while according to this Moldovan source
Конституционный суд не будет рассматривать жалобу Майи Санду о нарушениях на выборах » Gagauzinfo.md || Информационный портал Гагаузии №1
Конституционный суд не будет рассматривать жалобу главы PAS Майи Санду о нарушениях на выборах президента.
The Constitutional Court will not consider a complaint from the head of PAS [party] Maya Sandu about violations during the presidential elections.
Ms.Sandu should go to ordinary court with evidence about any wrongdoings during the elections. And ordinary court would be able only to make a verdict about volume of violations. Even if it would happen then protest would be made by mr.Dodon and the case would go to the Supreme court. And only then in the case of positive for ms.Sandu decision she would be able to go to the Constitutional court. The procedure could consume months, many months and the outcome is not clear.
So relax.

Ms.Sandu still hasn't filled complaint to the Constitutional Court while according to this Moldovan source
Конституционный суд не будет рассматривать жалобу Майи Санду о нарушениях на выборах » Gagauzinfo.md || Информационный портал Гагаузии №1

Ms.Sandu should go to ordinary court with evidence about any wrongdoings during the elections. And ordinary court would be able only to make a verdict about volume of violations. Even if it would happen then protest would be made by mr.Dodon and the case would go to the Supreme court. And only then in the case of positive for ms.Sandu decision she would be able to go to the Constitutional court. The procedure could consume months, many months and the outcome is not clear.
So relax.
Relax? I'm on tenterhooks........ There may be some sarcasm in the above.

Thanks for the update re the Court

I believe that I mentioned back here: Presidential elections in Moldova the the issue in Moldova was that the pro-EU parties were massively and systemically corrupt and people associated with them were involved in the theft of a staggering proportion of the country's wealth. The new president could win by simply being not them.

Relations with Russia quite probably ranked much lower in the minds of many voters than doling out retribution to the thieves in office or to people they saw as being associated with them (whether personally deserving of such punishment or not).

I believe that I mentioned back here: Presidential elections in Moldova the the issue in Moldova was that the pro-EU parties were massively and systemically corrupt and people associated with them were involved in the theft of a staggering proportion of the country's wealth. The new president could win by simply being not them.

Relations with Russia quite probably ranked much lower in the minds of many voters than doling out retribution to the thieves in office or to people they saw as being associated with them (whether personally deserving of such punishment or not).
Yes, it is quite possible that the main reason was namely corruption inside the ruling elite. No doubt it matters.
However, there were 9 candidates during the first tour. Only two of them mr.Dodon and mr.Chubachenko (came 3d) can be regarded as 'pro-Moscow'. Most of the candidates are not connected to the ruling elite and are not responsible for corruption in any way. Buy they got only handful of votes. Many candidates are hard-core nationalists, unioninsts (supporters of union with Romania). All of them failed miserably and it can not be explained only by corruption.
Also, there is one special region - Gagausia where pro-Russia feelings are strong. It is wine producing area where locals hope to restore access to Russian market.

Yes, it is quite possible that the main reason was namely corruption inside the ruling elite. No doubt it matters.
However, there were 9 candidates during the first tour. Only two of them mr.Dodon and mr.Chubachenko (came 3d) can be regarded as 'pro-Moscow'. Most of the candidates are not connected to the ruling elite and are not responsible for corruption in any way. Buy they got only handful of votes. Many candidates are hard-core nationalists, unioninsts (supporters of union with Romania). All of them failed miserably and it can not be explained only by corruption.
Also, there is one special region - Gagausia where pro-Russia feelings are strong. It is wine producing area where locals hope to restore access to Russian market.
Not sure why you missed Ms Sandu off the list. She came 2nd after all, is pro West it would appear and jumped parties regarding who was in it:
Acțiune și Solidaritate (Moldova) - Wikipedia
Moldovan presidential election, 2016 - Wikipedia
As you say above though, if she feels the vote was rigged she should appeal

Not sure why you missed Ms Sandu off the list. She came 2nd after all, is pro West it would appear and jumped parties regarding who was in it:
Acțiune și Solidaritate (Moldova) - Wikipedia
Moldovan presidential election, 2016 - Wikipedia
As you say above though, if she feels the vote was rigged she should appeal
The results of the elections are too well know to repeat it.
But there is an interesting question: what was the main reason for mr.Dodon's victory?
1) Wishes of the Moldovans to develop friendly realtions with Russia or
2) Dissatisfaction with the ruling elite and its permanent corruption.
@terminal believes that the option #2 explains the results. Thus ms.Sandu hadn't sufficient support because the people look at her as at representative of Moldovan corrupted elite while mr.Dodon apparently is not connected to it. But there were 9 candidates and some of them are as mr.Dodon not connected to the corupted elite. So why they hadn't get more or less visible number of votes? There is only one possible cause - their political position - mainly pro-EU, nationalist, unionist (union with Romania).
As for mr.Dodon then he as a typical politician is just an opportunist. In interviews with Russian and pro-Russian mass media he speaks about friendship, prospects of economic relations and so on. Western journalists are being told about European choice. Romanian ones hear speeches about Romanian brothers.
The West had at time good relations with Communist president Voronin. I think that moreover common language will be found with opportunist Dodon.

The Gagauz tried to separate from Moldova during the break up of the Soviet Union. This is a common theme in ethnic struggles - each minority group has smaller minorities within its own borders, who in turn have their own grievances and aspirations which the larger minority don't appreciate.

This is why the process of state disintegration can get so messy in multi-national states.

The results of the elections are too well know to repeat it.
But there is an interesting question: what was the main reason for mr.Dodon's victory?
1) Wishes of the Moldovans to develop friendly realtions with Russia or
2) Dissatisfaction with the ruling elite and its permanent corruption.
@terminal believes that the option #2 explains the results. Thus ms.Sandu hadn't sufficient support because the people look at her as at representative of Moldovan corrupted elite while mr.Dodon apparently is not connected to it. But there were 9 candidates and some of them are as mr.Dodon not connected to the corupted elite. So why they hadn't get more or less visible number of votes? There is only one possible cause - their political position - mainly pro-EU, nationalist, unionist (union with Romania).
As for mr.Dodon then he as a typical politician is just an opportunist. In interviews with Russian and pro-Russian mass media he speaks about friendship, prospects of economic relations and so on. Western journalists are being told about European choice. Romanian ones hear speeches about Romanian brothers.
The West had at time good relations with Communist president Voronin. I think that moreover common language will be found with opportunist Dodon.
I believe 52% or so of the country voted for a combination of 1 and 2 personally. Some all 1, some all 2. Some 1 and 2. Some for other reasons.

48% may have been influenced by 1 and 2 but felt that she was the better candidate or felt the corruption was dealt with or just wanted better ties with the West.

Narrowing it down to 1, 2 or even six reasons is quite hard to do whichever way a vote goes. There's often a combination of factors from blind stupidity to a sense of everything and all factors in between

In Russia, Moldovan president says he may scrap EU trade pact
In summary, President in Moscow says he's thinking of cancelling the EU trade deal. He went to the polls stating there would be a referendum on EU relations. Now wants to call an early election as the 'pro EU govt' has said they will not support his direction.

He's also said the President "should be neither pro-European nor pro-Russian". Putin has said "It needs to be recognised that mutually beneficial ties with Russia deteriorated against the background of attempts to force a closer relationship with the European Union,". Dodon says "We are not against the EU, we have common borders, but you cannot build a relationship on anti-Russia rhetoric," Still a lot to play for ....:
Moldova may scrap a trade agreement with the European Union after the country's next parliamentary election, President Igor Dodon said on Tuesday during his first state visit to Russia.

Speaking in Moscow at a news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Dodon said it was "curious" that Moldova's trade turnover with the EU had wilted since signing a political and trade pact with the bloc in 2014.

"We gained nothing from this agreement," he told reporters.

"We are not against the EU, we have common borders, but you cannot build a relationship on anti-Russia rhetoric," news agencies quoted Dodon as saying after meeting with Putin.

Dodon was elected in November with just over 50 percent of the vote after calling in his campaign for a referendum on Moldova's relationship with the EU, which came at the expense of ties with Russia. No referendum has yet been announced.

Moscow imposed retaliatory trade restrictions on Moldovan farming exports in response to Chisinau's signing of an association agreement with the EU in 2014. Dodon's vow to improve relations with the country's former Soviet master found favour with many Moldovans who have been hit financially by Russia's bans and a broader economic downturn.

Dodon's win and move away from the EU reflects a loss of trust in pro-European leaders in Moldova and Russia's increasingly assertive influence over ex-Soviet states.

The coordinator of the pro-European ruling coalition in Moldova, Vlad Plahotniuc, said the country would not be pulled out of closer integration with the EU, criticising Dodon for his comments to Putin.

"Our country does not have the right to send contradictory messages on foreign policy," he said in an online statement.

"The Moldovan authorities will not allow the EU association agreement to be annulled. We will not only block any attempts to denounce the agreement, but will speed up the process of its implementation," he said.

In Moscow, Putin struck a both conciliatory and sharp tone with Dodon, saying Russia's neighbours were free to make their own decisions and even court the EU, but Moscow would want its interests to be respected.

"It needs to be recognised that mutually beneficial ties with Russia deteriorated against the background of attempts to force a closer relationship with the European Union," he said.

Dodon's promise to side with Russia over the EU is in direct conflict with the stance of Moldova's current government and his stance on the issue has been mixed since taking office.

He has called for early parliamentary elections this year to force out the government, but also said the president "should be neither pro-European nor pro-Russian".

On Tuesday, he said Chisinau did not intend to build an "iron curtain" with the bloc.

Moldova, the poorest country in Europe, is expected to return to growth in the near future after contracting 0.5 percent in 2015. But its exports have yet to recover to pre-crisis levels, falling 4.3 percent in the first quarter of 2016.

Ukraine, another ex-Soviet republic, also played with the idea of closer ties with the EU but abruptly pulled out of a trade deal in late 2013.

The move prompted mass street protests in Kiev, forcing then-President Viktor Yanukovich from office and paving the road to Moscow's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea region.

Russian envoy to Moldova confirms expulsion of five diplomats
Oops, it doesn't appear to be going well between Moldova and Russia. Quel surprise:
Five members of Russia's embassy in Moldova have been expelled by the Moldovan authorities, Russia's ambassador in Chisinau told reporters on Monday, without giving further details.

Earlier, Russia's Interfax news agency quoted sources in the former Soviet nation's foreign ministry as saying five Russian diplomats had been ordered to leave the country.

Russian envoy to Moldova confirms expulsion of five diplomats
Oops, it doesn't appear to be going well between Moldova and Russia. Quel surprise:
Reuters of the Word at work again. It withhold important details.
Додон осудил действия молдавских властей в отношении российских дипломатов
Moldoval president Dodon condemned the action of Moldovan government that is merely Washington's puppet. The extradiction itself means nothing and after the next parliamentary elections there will be new government.
Current one acts according to orders from Washington - big deal.