President Obama,,was he worth it?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tuffy52, Aug 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought,,Considering the absolute mess that the USA is in now,Credit Rating lowered,Debts of Trillions,Disabled Political System,,So did President Obama deserve his Nobel Prize?,,Is he going to end up as one of the worst Presidents of all time....

2. How much could he have achieved if their Congress wasn't full of fuckwits trying to make political gains instead of doing what's best for the country?

3. Being able to get fuckwits to do what is best for the country is surely what defines a good president.........

• Like Like x 1
  4. The feeling is that he was left with a blocked toilet by his predecessor - something that he has tried to address. Unfortunately there are those in the US political arena that are trying to prevent him from addressing this problem for their own mean ends. Do not ask me why - but whenever he tries to achieve something - somebody stops him. Maybe this jolt will make the American people wake up and smell the coffee.

5. No, it's what defines a miracle-worker.

Being able to stop fuckwits getting in the way of what's best for the country on too many occasions is what defines a good president.

Obama hasn't delivered his promise, but that's hardly surprising as most of the promises were made up inside people's heads and consisted of 'he'll not be the last bloke'. Once the hangovers cleared, he was still faced with the everyday reality of a world which had substantially changed from the one ordinary Americans were used to and whuch wasn't prepared to support US society in the style to which it had become accustomed anymore.

It'll take some time for the fallout from that to sink in at grassroots level and it's evens that peple will just choose to look at easy scapegoats like their President rather than examining the part their own consumer choices played in creating the mess or which of their countrymen profited from creating or extending the economic collapse.

Democracy? I've shat it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. But if some are determined to block everything he wants to do, not because they believe it's best for the country but because it's against their political beliefs, what can he do? Sack them? Arrest them? Have them killed?

I thought he'd do better than he has so far, if I'm honest, but the recent mess around with the debt ceiling shows that US politics have far bigger problems than the figurehead at the moment.

7. you can only hope...

8. When he got his Nobel Prize, I don't remember him having actually done anything. Come to think of it, what exactly has he done since he was elected?

• Like Like x 2
  9. That's the question I keep asking myself,,,,What has he achieved,,apart from a deeply divided America.......

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Of course not - it's just everyone was so relieved that the old guy and the crazy lady weren't running things they felt they had to do something.

11. Barry has proved he was well worth the Nobel "Peace" Prize by escalating the Pashtun war, going bullgoose crazy for drones and extrajudicial assassination only to take the sheen off slightly by having to be dragged by Sarko into Libya like a constipated mule. Best job since Kissinger bombed the living crap out of Cambodia though a bit short of Woodrow Wilson after gleefully dooming europe to WWII.

12. Wasn't his Nobel Prize for economics? ........

.... only kidding. As one commentator said at the time "He won the Nobel Peace Prize for not being George Bush".

Obama seems to be out of the same mould as Gordon Brown. Save the world by spending money you don't have. Tax those you don't like and borrow money you don't need when the tax runs out.

Remember that he hadn't even completed a full term as a US Senator when he was elected President. He is simply too young for his naive idealism to have been tempered by experience.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Obama is said by some to be a great orator - I personally find his delivery about as annoying as Robert Peston.

But Obama seems to have mistaken oratory (and sound-bite politics) as a substitute for action. When you look at what he has actually achieved in terms of maintaining America's position as a the most dominant nation on the planet, the answer is very little. The list of completed items on the 'action this day' check list is depressingly small. All he has done is preside over a decline.

Ultimately we are judged by deeds and not by words. When the balance sheet on Obama is drawn up, I think we will find he was a singularly ineffective president who talked the talk, but couldn't walk the walk.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 2
  14. How many of you have heard of Warren G Harding or Calvin Coolidge? Well they were the presidents during the depresion era, they were followed by FD Roosevelt and his new deal, point being it the slighty less of a loser that's at the end of it that gets remembered.
    The Republicans aren't in any better shape tbh, no one seems to have any answers that don't involve someone or some LARGE group of people (The POOR) getting bummed (HARD).

• Like Like x 1
  15. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

change the names and descriptions and you could be describing any country at any time in history.

and as for the americans ever waking up and smelling the coffee...hahahahahahahahahahahaha...