President Obama - history's verdict?

Barack Obama as President has been..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even the people who pretend to care about climate change don't. It's invisible. A cause loved by certain elements in society because they can "fight" for it without offending anybody or having to do anything.
Don't forget the limitless research budgets.

CC has made a lot of people very rich, very outspoken and very powerful

I think he seems that way because he was interested in social change.

On the big issues he wanted to tackle - gun control, for example - his hands were tied.
He just had to bite the bullet...

There are so many vested interests, I don't understand how anybody has an objective opinion on climate change.
Nail squarely on head.

"Global Warming is the biggest treat to human life since toilet duck was made available over the counter !" Herr Johann Von Arsengrubuer of JVA Solar Technologies Gmbh..

"It's just a Chinese led conspiracy to stop us using our fossil fuel resources." Mr Cole M Iner, West Virginia USA.

"I'm all for it if the sea's not gonna be so friggin cold at Skeggy.." Miss T Rack-Suit, Lincolnshire UK.

When there is some distance I think looking back he will be "The first Black President" end of.
Agreed, although that is a hell of an achievement in itself. For all of Thatcher's achievements (good or bad), she is often remembered as the first female Prime Minister.
Think Obama will even be out-legacied* by Dubya.

*Do I get a point for inventing new words?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
@urban_spaceman

No...take a loud
"Demn your eyes for your impertinence Sir!"

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Obama, Its a reasonable bet he'll be better thought off than Trump. More fondly remembered anyway. And at least one more term than Trump.

Useless git was only elected because he was black.
Everybody else is still trying to figure out what he was talking about when he get repeating "Yes we can" during his election campagn when it years later it appear he should have said "No I can't"

He's achieved nothing. Other than helping fuel racism of course.

Odious little man. If only the British Army really had crushed his grandaddy's nuts in a vice we wouldn't have had to put up with him being on the telly for the last eight years.

This. Very much this.
And he looked to me like Jimmy Carter Mk2 to me from the beginning. No doubt he'll be spinning his "legacy" for the rest of his life too, and he might well succeed as he is articulate and convincing.
Bottom line: As he was being inaugurated a university Head of History Dept observed that Obama was an academic type and academics make bad politicians as politics needs practical, pragmatic people and academia is all about theories. Spot on, imho.
I read the same about the Attlee govt after WWII. They blew a lot of opportunities due to a lack of practical knowledge/experience at the higer levels of govt.

Useless git was only elected because he was black.
That's it in a nutshell.
It'll be his epitaph, and it'll be his historical title

When Mohammad Bin-Aslef Al-New Yorkie is POTUS in 2075, they'll still be referring to Obama as the 'first'

I think one of the biggest issues in US politics is the sheer rabid hatred each side seems to have for the other. I understand disagreeing, but they sometimes just seem to screw themselves over just to spite the opposition.
Jeez , thought you were talking about Northern Ireland for a minute.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought she was horiffic. Travelling around the world spouting her "look at me" feminist nonsense, as if she'd achieved something more than to marry well.
The one quote that really got to me was the one about her never being able to sleep in the White House thinking about all the slaves (must have been black of course) involved in the building of it. An opportunistic liar in my opinion.

I think one of the biggest issues in US politics is the sheer rabid hatred each side seems to have for the other. I understand disagreeing, but they sometimes just seem to screw themselves over just to spite the opposition.
He definitely didn't help in that respect - he is the most partisan president I personally remember.

I think he tried his best, and did what he thought was right. I'll give him that.

However, his Obamacare (ACA) initiative, has cost me personally thousands of dollars and indirectly caused me to have no health insurance at all for three months. So good riddance, from that perspective. My family and 10s of millions of others.

I think his greatest legacy, certainly in the second term, is to take a winning position, and from there, so alienate the voters from the Democratic Party's ideals that they elect a no-hoper (i.e. Trump), because they didn't want more of the same. Granted Trump did not win the popular vote, and basically only just got in. But that speaks volumes that an outspoken, often ridiculed candidate was seen as better than the Democrat alternative by enough people in enough places that he won.

The combination of the ACA fiasco and the election outcome leaves me to conclude that Obama has failed the country and failed his party.

That's not to knock the guy himself, he gave it his best shot, and he's quite personable in the documentaries etc I have seen of him. He was given a few hospital passes along the way too. But if ever there was a job where the buck stops, it's with POTUS. He has not been able to deliver for the country.
Can you explain how that happened?

Aside from the Nobel peace prize* given before he'd been in office to actually do anything peaceful.

Didn't he also mutter something about closing Guantanamo?

*Tom Lehrer said satire died the day Kissinger got his Nobel peace prize. I'm glad he's still around to appreciate Stockholm's second bite at the cherry.

Don't forget the limitless research budgets.

CC has made a lot of people very rich, very outspoken and very powerful
I had to turn the BBC nature doc on Yellowstone off the other night, literally every 2 mins there was a reference to climate change and how it was negatively impacting the place. Conveniently forgetting to mention the fact that about 98% of all the species of plant and animal that have ever existed are extinct.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Some input from a US colleague,via the usual friend of a friend's brother's uncle's Cousin:
----- begins _----+++
Obama was a very presidential president which was not what many people wanted. It was also a prob for many people that he was too black, too educated, too aloof, too quiet and too Democrat, although many of his policies are very Reagan-like.

If we were in a period where most people felt it was a good idea to be considerate and complex answers to complex questions were required, then all of his "problems" would likely have not affected his presidency. Trump is exactly what happens when short-sighted America says, "we've had a black "liberal" in office and the experiment failed because we're not all rich.Now it's time for a white conservative to put it all back where it should be."

Except for the fact that Obama was blocked AS A POLICY by the Rep congress.

That's what I think. A different time and a different citizenry would have made all the difference.

.....endit....

Last edited: