President Obama - history's verdict?

Barack Obama as President has been..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As POTUS he had the absolute authority to order a withdrawal/suspend combat operations from Iraq and Afghanistan at any time.

he didn't do it.

Casualties climbed in Afghanistan under his watch. Now we are back in Iraq and no sign of leaving Afghanistan in the near future
He could have, yes. But I doubt he even considered it for a second.

As much as I don't like Trump (didn't like Clinton either) I think some of the more sensitive souls in the US are going to experience what teenagers do in a classroom after 2 months of having a weak supply teacher replaced by a full time professional who's not going to take any crap from them.
I'm not saying Trump is a professional. but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I thought she was horiffic. Travelling around the world spouting her "look at me" feminist nonsense, as if she'd achieved something more than to marry well.
yeah I hate it when chicks get all uppity as well, see howling pads wives doing the same time and again.

So you've met my sister-in-law!

Done farc- all- squared off her own bat, but revels in the 'status' of house/car/cruises obtained by marrying someone wealthy.

I asked an American friend this very question.

He said "we have a saying in Texas. Big hat, no cattle."
Similar to "He's got a Ten Gallon Hat on a Two Pint Head..." methinks.

I rather think some US voters may soon be bleating "come back Obama all is forgiven" once Trump takes the reins

He, Obama, has some very interesting ideals that could have bettered the lot of Amurcans had he had two balls to drive them through the House. He did come here and visit a couple of schools but his Missus took all the hype and glory. Obama (I don't) care could have been a good thing if it wasn't viewed as a cynical tax. Good things he did? I can give you, not ten, not seven, not even three but a whole one. Climate change. Now tell me he didn't do a reasonable job. :cool:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I asked an American friend this very question.

He said "we have a saying in Texas. Big hat, no cattle."
'All hat an' no cattle' - is the version I heard but yeah.

I liked Texas. S x SW maybe one day ...

Thanks for responses so far. Given that my intended audience over yonder haven't woken up yet it was reassuring to see the level of interest.

I expect some pollster has done a smart infographic showing who likes him and who wouldn't p1ss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire (?) by U.S region/state.

The picture will not follow electoral results. The first non-white guy in the Oval Office was always going to divide opinion. Wonder how it would have gone if Colin Powell had elected to stand as a candidate....

He, Obama, has some very interesting ideals that could have bettered the lot of Amurcans had he had two balls to drive them through the House. He did come here and visit a couple of schools but his Missus took all the hype and glory. Obama (I don't) care could have been a good thing if it wasn't viewed as a cynical tax. Good things he did? I can give you, not ten, not seven, not even three but a whole one. Climate change. Now tell me he didn't do a reasonable job. :cool:
Even the people who pretend to care about climate change don't. It's invisible. A cause loved by certain elements in society because they can "fight" for it without offending anybody or having to do anything.

I think he tried his best, and did what he thought was right. I'll give him that.

However, his Obamacare (ACA) initiative, has cost me personally thousands of dollars and indirectly caused me to have no health insurance at all for three months. So good riddance, from that perspective. My family and 10s of millions of others.

I think his greatest legacy, certainly in the second term, is to take a winning position, and from there, so alienate the voters from the Democratic Party's ideals that they elect a no-hoper (i.e. Trump), because they didn't want more of the same. Granted Trump did not win the popular vote, and basically only just got in. But that speaks volumes that an outspoken, often ridiculed candidate was seen as better than the Democrat alternative by enough people in enough places that he won.

The combination of the ACA fiasco and the election outcome leaves me to conclude that Obama has failed the country and failed his party.

That's not to knock the guy himself, he gave it his best shot, and he's quite personable in the documentaries etc I have seen of him. He was given a few hospital passes along the way too. But if ever there was a job where the buck stops, it's with POTUS. He has not been able to deliver for the country.

What I find interesting about all the anti-Trump shite is, I have an ex RAF friend who lives in N Carolina. After Hurricane Matthew creamed through, there were lots of small communities cut off by floods, power outages, unable to get around. Everyone was waiting for the Federal Agencies to start doing their thing, after about 4 days things were starting to get desperate and, big 40 footers started to appear, full of the normal gear, food, water, generators, tentage , meds and Doctors. People in charge got straight into see all the local mayors to find out where the greatest need was, suffice to say, over a 2 week period, stuff was moved to where it was needed, helicopters air lifted people and supplies into and out of isolated settlements and, things eventually got back to normal.

At the end of 4 weeks it was decided to thank all the helpers by having a Mega-Barbi, something like 1500 people attended, everybody was having a great time, then someone asked a question about the Federal Agencies that had done all of this and, why it hadn't been reported in the National newspapers?

The answer came from one of the 'privately hired' doctors who told them that his employer for the last 4 weeks had been......Donald J Trump, Trump had organised and paid for the whole shebang, without a word to anyone.

My friend lives in a place called Wilson and, N.Carolina voted solidly for...Donald J Trump. The shit is still hitting the fan in the State Assembly apparently.

I'm just passing on what I was told.

Plus only being 'look at me' by being surrounded by black kids

I put 'Michelle Obama visits school' in Google images and it spoke volumes

michelle obama visits schools - Google Search

The beeb is already pushing her to be a candidate for the 2020 presidential election, giving huge amounts of airtime to her, praising & re running her visit to a "deprived" school in London full of immigrant kids. She so fits their "right on" agenda, its sickening. I feel sure that the usual crowd of liberal lefties that seem to form the nucleus of the democratic party and much of the MSM in the US will be doing the same over there.

The US has lost a huge amount of ground on the foreign stage and is domestically as polarised as at anytime since the Civil War which, given US domestic history, takes some doing.

Some of the foreign piece can be laid squarely at the hugely inept door of GWB and much of the domestic piece has its origins in the log-rolling, PC identity politics which the Clintons did so much to encourage, but Obama had two terms to improve things and singularly failed to do so.

America needed a coalition-builder with a practical plan of action and the ability to deliver (and still does), not the remote autocue God that is Barak Obama. If he hadn't been black his two terms would have been nondescript (and he'd have probably only had one term) and everyone would be talking about him in the same way they talk about Jimmy Carter.
This. Very much this.
And he looked to me like Jimmy Carter Mk2 to me from the beginning. No doubt he'll be spinning his "legacy" for the rest of his life too, and he might well succeed as he is articulate and convincing.
Bottom line: As he was being inaugurated a university Head of History Dept observed that Obama was an academic type and academics make bad politicians as politics needs practical, pragmatic people and academia is all about theories. Spot on, imho.

Last edited:
What I find interesting about all the anti-Trump shite is, I have an ex RAF friend who lives in N Carolina. After Hurricane Matthew creamed through, there were lots of small communities cut off by floods, power outages, unable to get around. Everyone was waiting for the Federal Agencies to start doing their thing, after about 4 days things were starting to get desperate and, big 40 footers started to appear, full of the normal gear, food, water, generators, tentage , meds and Doctors. People in charge got straight into see all the local mayors to find out where the greatest need was, suffice to say, over a 2 week period, stuff was moved to where it was needed, helicopters air lifted people and supplies into and out of isolated settlements and, things eventually got back to normal.

At the end of 4 weeks it was decided to thank all the helpers by having a Mega-Barbi, something like 1500 people attended, everybody was having a great time, then someone asked a question about the Federal Agencies that had done all of this and, why it hadn't been reported in the National newspapers?

The answer came from one of the 'privately hired' doctors who told them that his employer for the last 4 weeks had been......Donald J Trump, Trump had organised and paid for the whole shebang, without a word to anyone.

My friend lives in a place called Wilson and, N.Carolina voted solidly for...Donald J Trump. The shit is still hitting the fan in the State Assembly apparently.

I'm just passing on what I was told.
True, apparently: Donald Trump Donated Food, Supplies to Victims of Hurricane Matthew in North Carolina

Weird that we didn't hear about that.

I have a cousin who lives in Albequerke, New Mexico, who tells me that her monthly health insurance costs have risen to $1700US per month for her family of six since Obamacare came into force (I forgot to ask what it was before), and that though she has grave misgivings about many of Trumps ideas, she can't wait for him to bin this.
I was shocked to hear what ISN'T included in this cost...... every trip to her GP costs $100. Last year her daughter had to have a scan after knocking herself while skateboarding (She definitely has the Stainmaster catastrophe gene), and even though her insurance paid some of it, she still had to pay $2,500.

I think it would be a good idea if the NHS published the cost of a range of common treatments in the UK. It might serve several purposes; making the 'worried well' think a bit more carefully about going to A and E with a sore throat, and perhaps make a few more genuinely well-intentioned people see that UK taxpayers cannot afford to give free treatment to everyone in Britain of any nationality or residency status, regardless of how kind an ideal that is.

If I lived in a developing country and had cancer, I would do my damnedest to get to a place where I could access treatment for it, and I don't blame any that do. BUT if the UK govt (of any colour) wants to make this available they need to properly fund the NHS.

Last edited: