President Obama - history's verdict?

Barack Obama as President has been..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Today Jan 10 ,2017 is apparently Barack Obama's last day in office.

He's giving a speech in his adopted home town Chicago.

Link

It will be interesting to watch how his reputation as POTUS becomes established.

A steady hand or weak and ineffectual?

A risk taker or over cautious?

I get the sense that Americans are divided.

Opinions I've heard first hand range from
" we had high hopes to start with but The Machine got to him"
To
" Don't talk to me about that guy -we have a traitor in the White House!!"
( ex USAF officer over breakfast at Victory Services Club)

In your own time, go on.

Not nearly as good as his supporters said he would be, not nearly as bad as his opponents said he would be. Middle third.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I think one of the biggest issues in US politics is the sheer rabid hatred each side seems to have for the other. I understand disagreeing, but they sometimes just seem to screw themselves over just to spite the opposition.

It's hard to say. He failed on his headline policies, but not for want of trying. He was never really tested as a leader.

If you want to see what he'd have achieved had he not been cool and black, look at Hillary Clinton.

I always got the impression he was more worried about his legacy than being one to tackle the really tough issues head on.

I believe he has set back race relations to 1950's levels by allowing the rise of the BLM movement and his anti-police "policy" has caused unnecessary friction between different factions resulting in almost open warfare against police officers nationwide.

I always got the impression he was more worried about his legacy than being one to tackle the really tough issues head on.
I think he seems that way because he was interested in social change.

On the big issues he wanted to tackle - gun control, for example - his hands were tied.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The US has lost a huge amount of ground on the foreign stage and is domestically as polarised as at anytime since the Civil War which, given US domestic history, takes some doing.

Some of the foreign piece can be laid squarely at the hugely inept door of GWB and much of the domestic piece has its origins in the log-rolling, PC identity politics which the Clintons did so much to encourage, but Obama had two terms to improve things and singularly failed to do so.

America needed a coalition-builder with a practical plan of action and the ability to deliver (and still does), not the remote autocue God that is Barak Obama. If he hadn't been black his two terms would have been nondescript (and he'd have probably only had one term) and everyone would be talking about him in the same way they talk about Jimmy Carter.

He inherited a war in Afghan/Iraq, Gulf Of Mexico oil spill and a global recession.

There you go pal, crack on with all that lot.

Suppose he didn't do too bad.

Although I can't really see what his legacy will be, apart from being the first black bloke in the daddy chair. The past 12 months I reckon he has came across as a bit of a bell end. The way he's handled the election and all that black lives matter nonsense.

It was always going to be a hard act to follow after Bush, love him or hate him he was a very charismatic bloke and not scared to just get amongst it.

To be honest though, I don't really follow my own country's politics so I can't really judge the bloke. I speak as the average bloke on the street that catches a bit of the news now and then.

He came in all full of piss and vinegar

rapidly the vinegar was gone

right out of the gate was given a Nobel peace prize before he was even sworn in and has been at war ever since.

Elected as the Anti Bush and as a Black novelty, he let down the Black community and took on many of the same policy positions as Bush 43.

His Obamacare typically has wound up costing Americans Much more out of their own pockets for healthcare and now many lack certain areas of coverage due to the costs involved. (And that doesnt take into account the Idea of being fined/taxed by the government for not buying a commercial product).

He tried Tantrums to get his way and no one gave into him after 2012. You can't go around saying one party is holding the nation hostage and then expect them to work with you after you vilify them at every chance.

He ''got'' Bin Laden™ is one accolade the Dems repeat that you would think it was lord 0 himself who gave OBL the 5.56 third eye, not the SEAL's.

A honest evaluation and assessment is impossible currently as the results of such polls are always skewed to the recent fame and not towards an unbiased assessment.

Mediocre will be the likely eventual assessment after the hoopla and supporters calm themselves

I believe he has set back race relations to 1950's levels by allowing the rise of the BLM movement and his anti-police "policy" has caused unnecessary friction between different factions resulting in almost open warfare against police officers nationwide.
Agreed. He showed a distinct lack of statesmanship over that. Pandered to his home crowd and refused to acknowledge the elephant in the room.

''He inherited a war in Afghan/Iraq...''
As POTUS he had the absolute authority to order a withdrawal/suspend combat operations from Iraq and Afghanistan at any time.

he didn't do it.

Casualties climbed in Afghanistan under his watch. Now we are back in Iraq and no sign of leaving Afghanistan in the near future

As POTUS he had the absolute authority to order a withdrawal/suspend combat operations from Iraq and Afghanistan at any time.

he didn't do it.

Casualties climbed in Afghanistan under his watch. Now we are back in Iraq and no sign of leaving Afghanistan in the near future
What could he have done better?

Better than average singing voice, nice first lady.

Didn't do much of what he wanted to get done. Felt pity for him after each gun crime massacre; he knows that US style gun ownership is doolallybonkerskaput but a vocal majority will always resist change.

Too soft with Russia and Israel.

America more racially divided then we arrived.

Could he really not have promoted or encouraged a better successor than Clinton? By failing to do so he has given the world a group of words that seemed too ridiculous to appear together; President Donald J Trump.