President Carter, defends President Obama

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Chef, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the news this morning Ex pres Jimmy Carter stated that the ground swell of protests against the current incumbent was racially motivated because he is black, one Republican senator is facing a motion of disapproval for comments he made.

The Republicans are saying that the whole issue is being fired up by the Democrats, whilst the Democrats reckon the Ku Klux Klan are moments away from getting the bedsheets out and taking to the streets.

We think we've got problems!
  2. America, some of us really want to believe in you again, so FFS get a grip!
  3. From what I've seen in the press Obama is not widely seen as a good President and his policies have little backing from the general public. Certainly his attempts at healthcare reform are meeting with bitter opposition and he is not perceived as a good commander-in-chief. Whilst racism undoubtedly does play a part with some people I find it rather disingenuous of Carter to claim that opposition is racially motivated, all the indications are that a white president trying to make similar reforms would be similarly unpopular. Besides, I thought we'd established he was Irish from Moneygall?
  4. I'll assume that Jimmy Carter knows what racism is like, since he grew up in Georgia, and I'll defend to the death his democratic right to condemn it if he thinks it necessary.

In return, I'll expect him to defend to the death my democratic right to say, 'Whatever the colour of a man's skin, he can still be an incompetent Tw*t.'
  5. Carters point is referencing the kind of argument of some people that they want obama gone so they can "claim back america" as racist. not that any and all debate against him and his policies are racist.

is the quote from the beeb. which is quite clearly saying they should stick to the issue and to be honest he's right.
  6. After 8 tortuous years of President Gump!

Amen to that.
  7. Absolutely no question - George "Mission Accomplished" Bush proved your last point beyond doubt.
  8. I agree that Carter's remarks are disingenuous and muddy the waters somewhat, he really needs to learn to belt up at times. However while his policies are meeting with opposition I don't think that they are bad policies per se, and certainly some are necessary. But he is meeting such fierce opposition because he has determined to push through the entrenched largely right wing interest groups.
    Clinton didn't push enough, and Bush didn't want to, so now Obama looks serious out come the big guns mobilising all the right wing vitriol and naivety to protect perceived interests rather than protest against badly thought out policies.
    The policies may need reviewing but I don't think their concepts are bad, they are needed especially after GB, but while the opposition is not racially motivated, though that may well be an factor for some people, it certainly is organised to play on right wing fears and bete noirs.
  9. Funny how the race card gets played every time Obama comes under criticism for his policy. :roll:
  10. Agree'd, the fact that many disagree an African American should'nt run the country is obsurd :roll:

People do not like change, Obviously certain policy changes will create backlashes which is very similar to what is going to happen here very soon when hard choices are made,

I'm disgusted that racism has reared its ugly head yet again within the media & other sources :( :roll:

He can't do any worse than the last Forest Gump idiot that was in office for petes sake, let him get on with his job.
  11. That's rich, that is. A failed president defending a failing president by using the threadbare race card. :roll: Jimmy Carter should stick to the things he's good at such as building houses for "Habitat for Humanity" and leave the political punditry to the experts. I wonder if we're going to hear next from Jesse Jackson, Sr. and the "Reverend" Al Sharpton?

12. It could be a brilliant piece of political strategy.

With politicians so sensitive, particularly over there, about being seen as racists, nobody will dare say anything against Obama in the future, no matter how bad those policies are, for fear of being branded a racist.

Of course, since it was said by Jimmy Carter, you can delete the word brilliant. Unless used in tandem with feckwit.

13. As not only a fellow countryman but also as a native of his state, I can attest to his naievte' and at times his disloyalty to the country. I do not question his sincerity but his judgment is incredibly bad.
  14. Doesn't Mugabe always pull the race card too when anyone dares question his leadership? :p

To question your leaders is not only the right of the citizens of a democracy, but a duty too.

But if everytime you say you don't agree with the President you are branded a racist, then you are no longer living in a democracy, but an autocracy.

I don't believe that President Obama is behind this, but unfortunately all his supporters seem to have it as their stock answer...

US Citizen: "I don't agree with the President over health reforms..."

Obama supporter: "You're a racist! Why don't you put on your KKK bedsheet and hood and erect burning crosses and show your true colours etc..."

It's very dangerous for democracy... :(
  15. Very well said and too true sadly.