Preserved Pension - How to claim

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by travellerintime, Jun 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hello all, some advice needed. I have just unearthed APO Form 359 (ADP) which is my advice form for a preserved pension. It has an annual figure of £872.31 payable at age 60. I will be 60 in 5 months time and would like to know how to claim this and if the figure is still the same. I have no other paperwork about this and there is no information about what to do to make a claim. I served for 9 years between 1971 - 1980. Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Well done on surviving this far and keeping the important document!

    You should visit this website and follow the links:

    About the Service and Personnel and Veterans Agency

    It should be more than £872!

  3. Thanks Litotes, I was the rank of Sgt when I left, would that make any difference ?
  4. Well, the figure of £872 mentioned in your first post will be, presumably, what the system reckoned you would have been paid had you retired in 1980 at the age of 60. You earned that £872 by serving 9 years (not counting any junior service) and reaching Sgt.

    But you retired in 1980 and your preserved pension of £872 pa has been sitting in the Government's coffers. It was linked to the RPI and there have been several threads on ARRSE covering how to calculate the updated figure. But you don't have to, as that is the task of the SPVA once you tell them you are still alive and kicking and want the dosh.

  5. Thanks a lot mate, much appreciated
  6. You need the form below:

    Form 8 - Preserved Pension Claim
  7. Thanks very much. Will I get this form from SPVA ?
  8. The form in my previous post is a hyperlink, if you click on it (the text that's underlined) it should download to your computer and you can print it off and fill it in :)
  9. This pension will be automatically taxed at 20%. If this pension moves you into a higher tax bracket, you need to tell the taxman, and then work out how to reduce your tax bill. The easiest way for most people is to take out a personal pension or reduce the hours you are working in your main job.

  10. Once again MOC 411 thanks a lot
  11. Thanks Litotes but I don't think I will have that problem. I have read some other threads and they all seem to mention a lump sum. Is that the case ?
  12. This table should give you an idea of what you're going to get. Just multiply your £872 by the appropriate figure from the spreadsheet. You should get a tax-free lump sum of 3 x the annual pension too.

    For example, presuming you left in Jun 1980, that would give you a one-off tax-free payment of £9355.86 and an annual taxable pension of £3118.62.

  13. Thanks so much for all your help to both of you, Keith
  14. Of course, there is a charge for our help.

    Just make the large cheque payable to C.A.S.H and send it to Litotes@ARRSE.

    I'll, er, make certain it is distributed...

  15. Theres always a catch isn't there. Keith
    • Like Like x 1