• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

preserved pension can i access funds

hi all I'm new to the forum and match help would be grateful..

i was medically discharged from the army and was wondering if i can access my preserved pension and take a lump sum from it to get me by just now until my war pension is fixed.
i got a lump sum when i left 8 months ago but used this to pay off everything . and would now like to access my persevered pension for a deposit for a house. is this possible and what way do i do this??

all help greatly appreciated

If you've taken the tax-free cash / lump sum, you can't have another bite.

Pretty much as simple as that, the next thing you'll receive will be a pension payment.

B

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
There isn't a lump sum for a preserved pension. By definition, a preserved pension means the full 22 wasn't done (as indicated by the MD).

Nor is there a "fund" to tap. MOD pensions are paid out of annual budget, like salaries.

Sorry it's not great news, but I think I'm on solid ground.
Correct. A preserved pension is a nice thing to have, but in effect pretty worthless until you reach the required date - usually, on age 60. It is separate from any disability pension.

I suppose you could use the promise of it to get a loan, but you'd pay through the nose for it.

There isn't a lump sum for a preserved pension. By definition, a preserved pension means the full 22 wasn't done (as indicated by the MD).

Nor is there a "fund" to tap. MOD pensions are paid out of annual budget, like salaries.

Sorry it's not great news, but I think I'm on solid ground.
I have got a preserved pension under the AFPS 75 scheme.

The paperwork states that on my 60th birthday, I will receive 3 times the annual amount (3 years payments) as a lump sum and 1/52nd per week thereafter.

My point is that the "lump sum" paid at age 60 is not a source of cash that can be tapped earlier. It's just a small wedge paid by the MOD out of its annual budget.

Good reminder though, LPJ. I had forgotten I'll get one of those too. Three times **** all is still not very much though :)
It depends, when I finished I didn't think I was entitled to any sort of pension and about 6 months after leaving I got a letter off the MOD giving me details plus amounts. At first glance I thought the same as you and forgot about it.

10 years ago I remembered and got Glasgow to tell me how much it was worth, it had gone up quite nicely and by the time I am 60 it could turn out to be a tidy sum.

i was medically discharged from the army and was wondering if i can access my preserved pension and take a lump sum from it to get me by just now until my war pension is fixed.
i got a lump sum when i left 8 months ago but used this to pay off everything . and would now like to access my persevered pension for a deposit for a house. is this possible and what way do i do this??

if you have been medically discharged and getting WP why not also try and get your pension put into payment too ?

If you were in AFPS 75 and were medically discharged your pension would have been paid immediately, together with a lump sum. The pension will continue for the rest of your life. There is no preserved amount.

If you were in AFPS 05 and medically discharged with a Tier 2 or 3 condition the same applies. If you were discharged with a Tier 1 condition, you would have got a lump sum worth between 6 months and 2 yrs pay and a preserved pension and lump sum payable at age 65.

If you have an AFPS 05 preserved pension you can get it early if:

- you are permanently unable to work and the condition causing the disability will last until age 65; or
- you are over age 55 and ask for it to be paid early with actuarial reduction.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM.

If you were in AFPS 75 and were medically discharged your pension would have been paid immediately, together with a lump sum. The pension will continue for the rest of your life. There is no preserved amount.

If you were in AFPS 05 and medically discharged with a Tier 2 or 3 condition the same applies. If you were discharged with a Tier 1 condition, you would have got a lump sum worth between 6 months and 2 yrs pay and a preserved pension and lump sum payable at age 65.

If you have an AFPS 05 preserved pension you can get it early if:

- you are permanently unable to work and the condition causing the disability will last until age 65; or
- you are over age 55 and ask for it to be paid early with actuarial reduction.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM.
any chance you can answer my question? 190 views and no answer........... what are WAR Pensions going up next April 1% or 2.2% as was CPI last sep ? ta in advance

Latest Threads