Preserve it or let it rot away?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is debate about the future of Auschwitz. Spend loadsamoney to refurbish it or let it, at last, rot away.

Given the existence of some who deny the purpose of such places, I feel it needs to be retained.

2. It needs to be preserved. It is a reminder of the horrors that we are capable of and also a reminder of why we need armies. The latter being something that needs to be reinforced in this day of illegal wars and dilluded tree huggers.

3. I'm not in favour of refurbishing it.
    There is a method of conservation that basically preserves things in stasis. ie keep it exactly as it is without allowing further decay. If you refurbish the place you are making it a replica.

4. Preserve it, but do not "enhance" it. It is probably the most important site in the history of man's inhumanity to man in Europe, if not the world.

5. The problem with refurbishing is it may take away some of the impact by making it too clean or glitzy, then it could also cheapen it with badly done atmospheric/moody design. It must be retained in an appropriate way.

The impact it has at the moment is very humbling to say the least. A group of friends went a few years ago and more than a few of them couldnt complete the tour with being too shaken from seeing a few tons of human hair that was to be turned into socks for u-boat crews.

Edit to add - Bet me too it Tiger-Monkey, i was too busy spell checking! The best way i have heard the camp put was as an example of "humanities inhumanity".

6. I was under the impression that much of it was already a refurbishment/reconstruction. Owing to most of the original buildings being destroyed as they were full of lice and disease etc

7. Seconded, I think conservation is the way forward.

8. Sounds like Knook camp to me

9. Seeing how the EU is currently proposing to rewrite the history of WW2 to make it less contentious, I vote for preservation.....

10. Spot on T-M.

11. I think it needs to be preserved. It's without a doubt the most sombre place i have ever visited in my life. It needs to be kept the way it is to show people just how badly people have been treated!

12. you could be talking about Tidworth

13. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

It should be left to rot and dissapear into the earth as time progresses. As it fades so should the memories

14. I disagree entirely. It needs to be preserved to remind us of one of the darkest hours in our history. We need to remember what happend so we can avoid it in future.

As it happens I dont think this should be limited to the holocaust. I think we should pay equal attention to Cambodia and Stalins Russia if we are to learn anything from history.

15. At what point do we decide that its time to move on?