Presentable Watches

Probably the movement is gummed up with dust and hardened oil ect,
Lighter fluid is your friend here, if your confident enough to remove the movement from the case, then a bath in fluid will ungum most things, it evaporates away leaving a light lubricant film behind.
It's not as thorough as a proper service but works.
I’ve done a fair bit of watching restorations on YouTube and I suspect you are correct. To the best of my knowledge it was simply put away when it stopped running and will only have ever been opened when it was sent away this time. The movement works and is ticking away nicely as long as I keep it in a watch winder, it does lose around 15mins a day though.

I’ve done a fair bit of watching restorations on YouTube and I suspect you are correct. To the best of my knowledge it was simply put away when it stopped running and will only have ever been opened when it was sent away this time. The movement works and is ticking away nicely as long as I keep it in a watch winder, it does lose around 15mins a day though.
The loss may correct itself after the bath, my other half has an original 1960's Timex Snoopy Watch, it suffered the same symptoms, a bath and no more issues.
If you can't remove the movement, just pop the back off and suspend the watch over an egg cup or similar of fluid and let the fumes do some work.

Latest Threads