Presentable Watches

PFGEN

GCM
Then you have the service costs. Rolex says service at a min of ten years, though some say every 5 years. Service costs between $600 and $1000 depending on the model.

That's a racket right there. I have one that is broken, ooh we'll have to service that first, starting at 670 euris. Service? I want it fekin' repaired you conning git!

Waldeck

Old-Salt
That's a racket right there. I have one that is broken, ooh we'll have to service that first, starting at 670 euris. Service? I want it fekin' repaired you conning git!
Your right, I think they restrict parts to dealers so they have a bit of a monopoly on repairs. I think they change most of the ware parts on a service including the crystal. Maybe you can take it to a watch repairer and see if it needs parts first.

Tried a search but couldn't find these people mentioned . If you fancy a watch, but it isn't quite right, they have various options.
Made in Germany.
Damn your eyes, Sir. There are some wonderful creations on there but if I buy one more watch I will need a bigger/another watch box and there is a chance that SWMBO - who either doesn't notice or pretends not to notice when I sneak another one into my collection - would definitely spot another box!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Damn your eyes, Sir. There are some wonderful creations on there but if I buy one more watch I will need a bigger/another watch box and there is a chance that SWMBO - who either doesn't notice or pretends not to notice when I sneak another one into my collection - would definitely spot another box!
My ex-wife was very quick to spot another box.

Ahem.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Then you have the service costs. Rolex says service at a min of ten years, though some say every 5 years. Service costs between $600 and $1000 depending on the model.

I've been to where they do the servicing in the UK. no wonder it's pricey - what with the moat, the security that makes most MoD establishments look like a supermarket and the top floor restaurant with it's rooftop seating area...

anyway, these are my two poshest watches a JW Benson (a swiss movement so definitely after they were bombed out in WW2)

I found it in a second hand car I bought for a massive £700.

20210604_135337[1].jpg

and this Universal Geneve (model 20207 1950's) self winding watch. I got it today from my FiL, it was his FiLs and none of the family wanted it as it "isn't gold" and "isn't a proper brand"

20210604_135722[1].jpg

I've been to where they do the servicing in the UK. no wonder it's pricey - what with the moat, the security that makes most MoD establishments look like a supermarket and the top floor restaurant with it's rooftop seating area...

anyway, these are my two poshest watches a JW Benson (a swiss movement so definitely after they were bombed out in WW2)

I found it in a second hand car I bought for a massive £700.

and this Universal Geneve (model 20207 1950's) self winding watch. I got it today from my FiL, it was his FiLs and none of the family wanted it as it "isn't gold" and "isn't a proper brand"
That Universal Geneve is a lovely looking watch, even with the wear on it's face (similar to it's owner?).
Would cost a bit to get it serviced (the watch, not your fizzog) but worth it IMHO.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
That Universal Geneve is a lovely looking watch, even with the wear on it's face (similar to it's owner?).
Would cost a bit to get it serviced (the watch, not your fizzog) but worth it IMHO.

its just been serviced and had a new winder (old one was snapped off 30 odd years ago making it a little difficult to adjust but being an automatic it's not needed for winding) it's had a clean inside and a new strap, checked for accuracy and it's all good.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
both of the above are far more tasteful than this

20210604_135502[1].jpg

2000AD

Old-Salt
Your right, I think they restrict parts to dealers so they have a bit of a monopoly on repairs. I think they change most of the ware parts on a service including the crystal. Maybe you can take it to a watch repairer and see if it needs parts first.
The new right to repair laws should change this in the near future.

How's your foray into watch repair going? Unless I'm mistaken, didnt you buy some tools a while back with the intention of learning how to do repairs?

Apols if totally wrong end of stick.

Mods, not repairs -

Just looking for parts the next project now, blue-dial Ray 2 or Komasu, swap in a blue sapphire dome and a hand-made leather strap.

Latest Threads