Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Presentable Watches

View attachment 512465My daily beater which is perfect for work and able to be bashed about, I much prefer my Citizen watches though.

Looks allright that. Nowt wrong with Casio analogue watches. If it goes ping it's not an eye watering visit to a watch repairer, just a visit to Argos.

Bob65

War Hero
This looks very nice

My daily beater is a Citizen Aqualand which has been my everyday watch since 2006, including Herrick. My other watch is a Breitling Avenger Seawolf that my Mrs bought as a present for me. I also have a Tag F1 in the drawer that I bought but never really wore much! I should pass it on to the boy I suppose. View attachment 512281View attachment 512282View attachment 512283
Great looking breitling unlike most of them it doesn’t look too ostentatious

Does anyone rate Japanese watches or are Swiss the way to go?

Rolex and Omega aren't really an option for now as I have other obligations, tbh if I had 6 grand to blow I'd prefer to go on a fancy holiday. There's one thing I do envy the mechanical watches for though and that's the Rolex sweep.

I prefer quartz purely because they're so much more practical and you don't have to keep forking out for services. The second hand tick on them is a bit naff though. Has anyone found a quartz movement that does a sweep? So far I've found the Bulova Precisionist.

Bob65

War Hero
Does anyone rate Japanese watches or are Swiss the way to go?

Rolex and Omega aren't really an option for now as I have other obligations, tbh if I had 6 grand to blow I'd prefer to go on a fancy holiday. There's one thing I do envy the mechanical watches for though and that's the Rolex sweep.

I prefer quartz purely because they're so much more practical and you don't have to keep forking out for services. The second hand tick on them is a bit naff though. Has anyone found a quartz movement that does a sweep? So far I've found the Bulova Precisionist.

Seiko's Spring Drive concept gives you a mechanically powered quartz movement that is perfectly smooth, not just fraction-of-second ticks that a mechanical watch is really doing.

endure

GCM
Bulova do a watch with a 262kHz movement as opposed to the normal 32kHz. I've got one and it's pretty neat. Not sure if they still make them though.

E2A it's got a screw down crown and is very accurate.

Last edited:

walrusboy

War Hero
Not all quartz movements are made the same and the hand movement is just one output of performance. If you want a good quartz take a look at the Seiko 7c46 movement, which is of high-quality metal construction and serviceable; it is not replaced at service. It is only fitted in Seiko Tunas, which are not everyone's cup of tea, but the build quality for a quartz piece is excellent.

I want the CW C60 Abyss! Somebody (ages ago) had a CW discount code - would one of you lovely chaps happen to know if:
a) There is still a code available
b) Does it work

Ta muchly in advance!

I want the CW C60 Abyss! Somebody (ages ago) had a CW discount code - would one of you lovely chaps happen to know if:
a) There is still a code available
b) Does it work

Ta muchly in advance!
100LOUPE18

Just tested it - £100 off watches over £500, and it works.

endure

GCM
Anyways.... I was in Gibraltar the last couple of days and looked in some of the watch emporiums (emporia??) as you do!

Main St is pretty dead as there are no cruise ships and therefore custom has dropped and folks are desperate to get some cash in. I've always lusted after a Hublot - the rose gold and titanium one, so went in for a try..... lovely bit of kit. Started off at 9900 euros and he came down to £6776 in the end. My (lovely!) leader said to go for it, but it is too much for a frippery. He got the gunmetal grey model down to the £4k mark.

So if any of you fancy -saving a few bob...... (Note: no discount on Rolex, as they can't get enough of them, and if you are lucky enough to be selling a 'Sports' Rolex, you could be quids in).

FEASG

LE
Having been totally Hacked off, with all my plans being frustrated by Covid. I treated myself to a 1962 Seamaster in Gold and steel . I had planed to change the strap for a black leather one, to use with Black tie. But I quite like it now. So may just keep it as it is and get something else for that role. I must say going old school, feels good after the modern trend for having something the size of a tin of beans on your wrist.

Attachments

• 122957004_2866090890290372_4381299144743864249_n.jpg
    122957004_2866090890290372_4381299144743864249_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Having been totally Hacked off, with all my planes being frustrated by Covid. I treated myself to a 1962 Seamaster in Gold and steel . I had planed to change the strap for a black leather one, to use with Black tie. But I quite like it now. So may just keep it as it is and get something else for that role. I must say going old school, feels good after the modern trend for having something the size of a tin of beans on your wrist.
Yes watches are much bigger now. My father's Certina DS from the sixties (the one in the middle) looks like a ladies watch between my Omega & Sinn, which themselves are not "big' watches. I have had the Certina overhauled and serviced and wear for formal, still keeps good time.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

Teg61

Old-Salt
Having been totally Hacked off, with all my planes being frustrated by Covid. I treated myself to a 1962 Seamaster in Gold and steel . I had planed to change the strap for a black leather one, to use with Black tie. But I quite like it now. So may just keep it as it is and get something else for that role. I must say going old school, feels good after the modern trend for having something the size of a tin of beans on your wrist.
Likewise, I also have a 62 seamaster for when I want to dress it up a bit. I normally wear it on the tan alligator strap but also have a black lizard strap for more formal attire.
068E1ACD-79DA-4C3C-AA22-16A6CAD8C14C.jpeg