Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Presentable Watches

I was watching (pun intended!) James Martin - the cooky boy - this morning. It would appear he likes his watches. I've seen a definite Rolex and a possible Breitling and Hublot so far.

That's weird! Several of us in the Control Room team had Submariners, 'cos we could and it pissed off the Wardroom! Anyway, the running gag from the periscope watchkeeper during black lighting at PD* was 'turn those bloody watches down!'

PD is Periscope Depth. Black lighting is when EVERY light is either off or so dim as to be virtually unreadable - even on all the consoles. The Control Room is virtually pitch black so the chappy on the periscope can see out at night. Not being able to clearly see important dials makes watchkeeping interesting......

Wasn't there also a fear that any light in the control room might get reflected back up the periscope and get spotted ? So even red light was a no-no ?

Wasn't there also a fear that any light in the control room might get reflected back up the periscope and get spotted ? So even red light was a no-no ?
I have heard that theory before, but I'm sure it is a myth. Have you seen the physical size of an attack periscope head? It is probably (not my area of expertise!) only about 2 inches across, with the lens somewhat smaller. Even red lighting in the Control Room was quite dark and the periscope watchkeeper's eyes would be glued to the eye-pieces (for the most part) thus preventing any ambient light getting to them!

Much more chance of it being spotted by a J band radar.
Allegedly.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Drop are doing the Seiko Flightmaster chrono for $189 US at the minute - it's worked out to just under £156 posted for me. Amazon are asking £384 for them at the moment, so you can't argue with that, even if you get stung for a few quid on taxes. (which I didn't a while back on a new Fiio mp3 player, so fingers crossed... was very quick on delivery too.)

I realise looking at some of the choices here it might not be posh enough, but i've been well happy with my sea urchin the last few years.

1600789520295.png

Drop are doing the Seiko Flightmaster chrono for $189 US at the minute - it's worked out to just under £156 posted for me. Amazon are asking £384 for them at the moment, so you can't argue with that, even if you get stung for a few quid on taxes. (which I didn't a while back on a new Fiio mp3 player, so fingers crossed... was very quick on delivery too.)

I realise looking at some of the choices here it might not be posh enough, but i've been well happy with my sea urchin the last few years.

View attachment 506441
Blimey, the dial would have to be that size in real life for me to be able to read it. It's a bit busy.

View attachment 506441
That’s a very ugly watch.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
My dad gave me a Helios Wermacht issue watch that he acquired during WW2. At school, around 1974, the science master was demonstrating a Geiger counter to us. My watch set it a-clacking like nothing else there - he advised me to stop wearing it.
As a lad I always watched the Royal Society Christmas Lectures on TV. Proper science with a good few explosions. On lecture the boffin was explaining that during set up the Geiger counter had gone potty and eventually it turned out to be 'Fred' the lab assistant's old Army watch. He got 'Fred' to come up and sure enough it was clicking like a good 'un. He said that it wasn't really dangerous unless 'Fred' decided to wear it dial side down for the next 200 years!

endure

GCM
Blimey, the dial would have to be that size in real life for me to be able to read it. It's a bit busy.

Agreed. My current beater is a Seiko chronograph and it's a bitch to read anything other than the time. My eyeballs prefer divers these days.

20200922_194756.jpg

Last edited:
As a lad I always watched the Royal Society Christmas Lectures on TV. Proper science with a good few explosions. On lecture the boffin was explaining that during set up the Geiger counter had gone potty and eventually it turned out to be 'Fred' the lab assistant's old Army watch. He got 'Fred' to come up and sure enough it was clicking like a good 'un. He said that it wasn't really dangerous unless 'Fred' decided to wear it dial side down for the next 200 years!

I remember in the dark I liked to bring the watch right up to my eyeball to look at the glowing parts, which seemed to be alive and moving. Well, that was close to 50 years ago so it seems no harm was done.
At school in London we used to go to lectures at the Royal Institution, an old fashioned steep circular auditorium. Remember one Prof who was demonstrating latex and rubber when the raw rubber "sponge" slipped out of his hand. The guy twirled around and back kicked it, it went up into the air and landed plumb inside the beaker on the desk where he had intended to place it before it slipped out of his hand. Cue an outburst of uproarious applause from the nation's schoolboys that were present.

Last edited:
At school in London we used to go to lectures at the Royal Institution, an old fashion steep circular auditorium

1990 ish school took us in the former probation service mk2 transit with bars on the windows to the uni or polytechnic or whatever it was at the time

we did the science lecture, its was packed with all the kids from the local schools

as we walked out I was asked my opinion,

"thats bloke was the most boring **** I've listened too"

I looked over my should I saw a ashen faced boring **** who just been called out by 14yr old

they wasn't any lectures the following year.

1990 ish school took us in the former probation service mk2 transit with bars on the windows to the uni or polytechnic or whatever it was at the time

we did the science lecture, its was packed with all the kids from the local schools

as we walked out I was asked my opinion,

"thats bloke was the most boring **** I've listened too"

I looked over my should I saw a ashen faced boring **** who just been called out by 14yr old

they wasn't any lectures the following year.
Not too many English lessons for you either by the look of it. :p

Time factors do a very good G10 type watch. I have one and very nice it is too.
Image is time factors own.

prs10s-2.jpg