Presentable Watches

Yup, spot on!

He did very well for himself and could have bought genuine watches but he really liked getting fake ones or cheap fashion watches. He thought I was nuts spending money on watches.
I bought a real watch in Kandahar bazzar.
It made 10 minutes an hour, I was never late, some times days early and it made the tour go faster

Last edited:
It might be an idea to join a couple of watch forums and ask the many folks on there with a lot of knowledge of watches.

International

UK

I will take it into Carters in Salisbury tomorrow for their watch bloke to cast an eye over. As Capt. Danjou said above, a shame a nice watch has been scribbled on. Unless it ups the value, obviously.

I have been promising myself a new watch but I am waiting till after Brexit. Maybe a future FTA might open the door to a good deal from the US or Japan.
I still have my eye on a Omega Speedmaster Professional or a Tudor BB58, or Tudor GMT. But at the back of my head there is a hankering for a 80's Heuer.
Needless to say, my wife is not impressed.

I will take it into Carters in Salisbury tomorrow for their watch bloke to cast an eye over. As Capt. Danjou said above, a shame a nice watch has been scribbled on. Unless it ups the value, obviously.
Given the provenance of the watch, I would assume it would increase its value. Did your uncle do anything exciting that might up the price more? Save the daughter of the sheikh from a kidnapping?

Given the provenance of the watch, I would assume it would increase its value. Did your uncle do anything exciting that might up the price more? Save the daughter of the sheikh from a kidnapping?
He lived in Bongo Bongo Land

I have been promising myself a new watch but I am waiting till after Brexit. Maybe a future FTA might open the door to a good deal from the US or Japan.
I still have my eye on a Omega Speedmaster Professional or a Tudor BB58, or Tudor GMT. But at the back of my head there is a hankering for a 80's Heuer.
Needless to say, my wife is not impressed.
I think once you start you can’t stop. I’m saving for an Omega Grey Side of The Moon.

endure

GCM

If your local man isn't up to scratch with its value because it has the Sheikh on it I really do recommend asking on Watchuseek. There are some real experts, many of whom are dealers and know the value of these kind of watches, on there.

There are also punters who have lots of cash to spend on anything that takes their fancy. A few good pictures will make all the difference.

If your local man isn't up to scratch with its value because it has the Sheikh on it I really do recommend asking on Watchuseek. There are some real experts, many of whom are dealers and know the value of these kind of watches, on there.

There are also punters who have lots of cash to spend on anything that takes their fancy. A few good pictures will make all the difference.
Thanks for the advice, will do.

I've got a much loved and quite battered black and gold Heuer 1000 from 1985. Unfortunately the movement is knackered and it seems there are non left...... Unless any of you know better.
You might get lucky and find a movement on Chrono24 or ebay, or get a working watch for spare parts.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If you have a few hours to kill you can take a gander at this watch/movie data base.

I am holding off buying a new watch until after brexit. There are some potential good deals in Japan and the USA that get scunnered by UK import and VAT, post brexit this might change. Fingers crossed.
I’d be surprised.
There were a couple I got away with, the last two were battered with everything, import, taxes and the classic post office ‘whack of money’, for minding your box and doing our job in respect of the money you originally paid for postage.

FedEx seem to be the worst culprits. That and the collapse of the pound against the dollar put a serious damper in getting anything from the states.

You might get lucky and find a movement on Chrono24 or ebay, or get a working watch for spare parts.
I've got an all black 1000, needs a new tab soldering on to hold the battery in place, but the last time I looked on eBay they were fetching about £400, so maybe a proper repair is worth it?

I was thinking something similar. It could have been a tip/gratuity for something.
I friend who is a surgeon in a Boston hospital said that a Saudi princess was in hospital for surgery and all doctors and nurses who cared for her received Rolex watches the day she left. He regretted that she had not needed an orthopedic consult in her time there.

Back during the Gulf War 1990-1991 a Kuwaiti official who is part of their royalty took up residence on two or three floors of a posh new hotel in Cambridge, MA to facilitate meetings with high tech defense firms. Prince(??) wives, all their kids plus many aides. There was a permanent police presence in the hotel with a command center and all police were on overtime, the city was reimbursed for all overtime.
The building was brand new and the fire alarm system was having teething difficulties. The Kuwaiti's all were living on Kuwait time (Charlie) and the alarms with annoying voice alarms were waking them up. They requested disabling the alarms which would be illegal so they arranged to have a fire officer in the control room and firefighters on patrol with radios. All on overtime, all reimbursed. As the war ended and the Kuwaiti's checked out they distributed watches lavishly to hotel staff. The cops and firefighters couldn't accept the gifts legally and I don't think any of them did.

I've got an all black 1000, needs a new tab soldering on to hold the battery in place, but the last time I looked on eBay they were fetching about £400, so maybe a proper repair is worth it?
Bringing a watch back to life is always good. If the can't get it repaired this article will tell you what movement you need and the history of your watch.

I think once you start you can’t stop. I’m saving for an Omega Grey Side of The Moon.
You are not wrong. I got the bug when I was a kid and enjoy all types of watches not just luxury ones.
If you are into space watches you could always hunt out a Seiko Pogue, the watch that should not have gone to space.

You are not wrong. I got the bug when I was a kid and enjoy all types of watches not just luxury ones.
If you are into space watches you could always hunt out a Seiko Pogue, the watch that should not have gone to space.
Wow that’s a stunning watch. I’m not sure about the colour but I will see if i can see one.

View attachment 435964I found this whilst going through some of my father's stuff. It's an Omega Constellation, with a portrait of an Arab gentleman on it. To my certain knowledge Dad had no dealings with that part of the world, although his brother was bodyguard to an OPEC sheikh for a while.
I would imagine the portrait devalues it somewhat, has anyone seen something similar ?
I remember back in the 60's / 70's when I was a padbrat there used to be some competition amongst RAF aircrew to do the official flag flying tour's around the Middle East - particularly Dubai and Kuwait. As they were official visits by representatives of HM The Queen the local Grand Mufti in the particular port of call would host an event and there would be the usual political talks. It was not unheard of for particular Grand Mufti's to insist on the inclusion of all the visiting Brits from the most junior member of aircrew to the most senior politico and civil serpent. I remember being variously told that at the end of the official dinner whilst speeches were being made that watches were placed in front of each seated attendee. Or, that there would be a line formed and the Grand Mufti would walk along thanking each one for attending and then hand them a watch from a tray bearer walking half a step behind him. I cannot remember which particular one, but it was either Kuwait, or Dubai that had the most profitable Rolex franchise on the planet due to the many watches presented by the local Grand Mufti.

Latest Threads