Presentable Watches

From left to right a 1940's omega pocket watch I had converted with a glass back. A Panerai 112 q 1960's omega Seamaster and finally a tag kirium that's my every day beater. Also in my collection is a Breitling super Ocean heritage 11 in blue with a off white dial.

The Hamilton X Wind Khaki is a good choice by this maker, very popular among watch afficionado's and currently retailing at under a thousand bucks at Jomashop, even with import duty that's not a bad price.

Hamilton Men's Khaki X Wind Watch H77616533

View attachment 358642
Saw the Hamilton Khaki Field Auto Chrono being pushed as the new Jack Ryan (Tom Clancy) watch in a posh store recently. Had a shufti and found it in the UK for nearly 1500.00 quids and at Jomashop in the US for under $1200. Tempting, but I'm holding out for the SUUNTO Traverse.

Last edited:
My everyday watch was purchased 250 years ago so its value may have gone up or down, manufactured at the start of the industrial revolution it is made of pig iron and diamonds, hand made by James Watt it uses 4 cwt of nutty slack an hour, the face is marble with one of pope Benedict XV11 bollocks on the second hand, the strap is Dodo skin with a T-rex clasp. I don't wear very often as I find its a little showy and of course carrying all that coal is problematic.

I have a couple of Breitling watches that generally give good service. One needed a new battery, went to the dealer and asked for a new battery, was told I'd need to have it resealed for €160 inc battery. Get stuffed I'm not going diving with it so just change the battery, still €25 poorer for what was probably a €2 button cell.

No.2 my favourite Navitimer had just stopped functioning. No idea why. It's been with me all over the world in all sorts. Serial numbers were checked and I was told it was more than five years old and therefore needed the full 3rd line maintenance package. That would start at around €600 before replacement parts were considered. Bugger that. Is this typical? Any sensible options other than I should have stuck with a G10. Costs seem a bit steep with something which isn't exactly in the Rolex class. It's not like it's ever going to appreciate in value, (less so if its deed).

1965 Rolex Submariner for every day (owned for 30+ years), 1928 Rolex Prince (with Champagne sunburst dial) for suited/booted (owned for 20+ years).....plus other bits and pieces picked up over the years.

Ridiculous, really - my Tudor Prince Oysterdate from 1993 seems to have doubled - and on some sites, tripled in value since then. Why, the gods only know. It's very nice to see, but awful on time, and always has been, despite two or three extremely expensive trips back for maintenance. I trust my CWC with the crowsfoot on the back far more, and the Timex's less of a worry too when in and around water. Fashion really does distort the market.

Ridiculous, really - my Tudor Prince Oysterdate from 1993 seems to have doubled - and on some sites, tripled in value since then.
You should see what 60's Submariners have done......the price increase is insane. I found two at deceased estate auctions a couple of decades ago, bought them both for not much and sold them a few years ago. One had red writing on the dial, issued by an oil company to its divers, and it went for insane money.

You should see what 60's Submariners have done......the price increase is insane. I found two at deceased estate auctions a couple of decades ago, bought them both for not much and sold them a few years ago. One had red writing on the dial, issued by an oil company to its divers, and it went for insane money.
IMG_0766.JPG

My watch - Bought in December of 1966. It cost US$235. (I still have the receipt) I have been told that it is worth a few thousand now. I don't care about investment, it keeps time well, is easy to read at night and has proven durable through sailing, swimming and scuba diving. Back when I still played old guy, pickup, no hit (allegedly) ice hockey I wore it but of course it was under the cuff of the hockey glove. (I gave up hockey at 50).
It has held up well. The original bracelet was not like current one and was made up of many much smaller links. That bracelet bit the dust around 1975 and I replaced it with the sturdier standard bracelet. I once had the bezel get knocked off and lost back in the early 80's and had the watch go through the clean, lube adjust service then. IIRC the cost back then was around $850. I think the same servicing now would be over $1000. I am putting that off as I hate the thought of paying 4 times the purchase price to service it.

They really do hold up. The father of a friend had one. He was a MG in command of a division in Vietnam in 1970. When his helo crashed in Cambodia he was identified by his teeth and the watch. Watch was working but the bracelet was broken. His son was then newly commissioned in the Army and his mother had the bracelet replaced. He wore it throughout his 41 year career in the US Army. When his son , a reservist, deployed to a nasty sandy place my friend gave him the watch. It still works.

What I am saying is that a Rolex is durable and holds its value. Plus you will never need to worry about replacing batteries or finding out that the battery you need is no longer available. You can't go wrong.

View attachment 399079

My watch - Bought in December of 1966. It cost US$235. (I still have the receipt) I have been told that it is worth a few thousand now. I don't care about investment, it keeps time well, is easy to read at night and has proven durable through sailing, swimming and scuba diving. Back when I still played old guy, pickup, no hit (allegedly) ice hockey I wore it but of course it was under the cuff of the hockey glove. (I gave up hockey at 50).
It has held up well. The original bracelet was not like current one and was made up of many much smaller links. That bracelet bit the dust around 1975 and I replaced it with the sturdier standard bracelet. I once had the bezel get knocked off and lost back in the early 80's and had the watch go through the clean, lube adjust service then. IIRC the cost back then was around $850. I think the same servicing now would be over $1000. I am putting that off as I hate the thought of paying 4 times the purchase price to service it.

They really do hold up. The father of a friend had one. He was a MG in command of a division in Vietnam in 1970. When his helo crashed in Cambodia he was identified by his teeth and the watch. Watch was working but the bracelet was broken. His son was then newly commissioned in the Army and his mother had the bracelet replaced. He wore it throughout his 41 year career in the US Army. When his son , a reservist, deployed to a nasty sandy place my friend gave him the watch. It still works.

What I am saying is that a Rolex is durable and holds its value. Plus you will never need to worry about replacing batteries or finding out that the battery you need is no longer available. You can't go wrong.
But you appear to have it strapped to the leg of a very old tortoise.
Is that wise ?

Nice to see an old-school plexiglass dome rather than glass face. Mine's very similar, and has also done it's service.....diving, surfing etc etc.

I think you might be surprised at how much it's worth, particularly with the original receipt. More so if you have the box and tags. It'll be somewhere between $12k and $15k retail, if not more. Weirdly, early Subs are disporportionately expensive given their relative standing in the range.....but that's fashion.

Here's my "keeper" from the year before yours was made.