Presentable Watches

Ladies & Gents

Bit of a 'first-world' problem, this. I expect no sympathy at all, and guess I will get even less!!!

I've just sold a property which has 'inflated in price' since I first purchased it; as such, now all the final expenses are cleared, I find myself in the rather enviable position of having a sum of cash which I quite fancy spending on an expensive watch.

I have investigated the 'replica' avenue (eg fakes: Fake Watches , Ever Bought One ?) but I find myself leaning more and more towards buying a decent Rolex or Omega (either new or pre-loved) and I'd be grateful for any advice people can give.

The sum I am looking at spending is £8000 +/- £1000, I am looking for something that'll look rather presentable but will hopefully appreciate in value over the course of time.

Alternatively, if you had £8000 to spend on a watch, show us your intended!!!!

Here's roughly what I'm thinking so far:

Rolex Sea Dweller

Rolex Submariner in 'Hulk Green'
rolex-submariner.boxpapers-116610lv.green-2016-hqmilton7421-01.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch
0510170010.jpg

PS No Breitlings please - I see them every day and they are slightly more common, and tasteless, than second-rate infantry, or CS arms..................

Peter-Pan

Clanker
I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast and happen to own versions of all three of your choices. From the point of view of which will appreciate the Rolex Submariner with the green bezel (The Hulk) will be discontinued shortly. The current new sticker price is £6,600. In 5 years it'll sell for ten grand all day. The Sea Dweller is a professional tool and a massive lump and not really every day wear but a great watch. If it's a Speedmaster you want then really only the Speedmaster Professional has any horological significance since it was worn during the Moon Landings... a great piece but hand wound and no date complication which can be a chore as a daily wearer. Go with the Submariner but do it in the next few months.

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast and happen to own versions of all three of your choices. From the point of view of which will appreciate the Rolex Submariner with the green bezel (The Hulk) will be discontinued shortly. The current new sticker price is £6,600. In 5 years it'll sell for ten grand all day. The Sea Dweller is a professional tool and a massive lump and not really every day wear but a great watch. If it's a Speedmaster you want then really only the Speedmaster Professional has any horological significance since it was worn during the Moon Landings... a great piece but hand wound and no date complication which can be a chore as a daily wearer. Go with the Submariner but do it in the next few months.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.

ADBO

LE
I was also in the position of being able to buy a more expensive watch a while back and bought a Tag Heuer (a brand I've always liked). Have to say, whilst it looks nice I've had a couple of problems with it and the service from tag is crap. My wife got me a Gucci about 15 years ago and have never had a problem with it.

Good luck in your search and I'd be interested to see what you settle on...

I started a watch thread but can't find it now. Lot of info on there.

the answer to your question is: Patek Philippe Calatrava.

But if you're not really into watches I'd advise buying yourself a nice Seiko and saving the rest in a decent instant access ISA.

walrusboy

War Hero
As above. The SD is a lump and something that you might tire of. The Speedmaster Professional is very robust and I've been shallow water diving in mine despite its low WR. As Peter says if you choose a Speedmaster the Pro is the best one to get. If you choose the diver route I would go for the classic sub (not the sub date) as the dial symmetry is better and with the money saved buy a CWC quartz diver for the third world and other sh1t holes. I would avoid the Hulk sub unless you are a particularly flamboyant member of the LGBT community or you're climbing the social ladder in Basildon.

I started a watch thread but can't find it now. Lot of info on there.

the answer to your question is: Patek Philippe Calatrava.

But if you're not really into watches I'd advise buying yourself a nice Seiko and saving the rest in a decent instant access ISA.

You would likely get a better return out of other schemes. I used to use Hargreaves Lansdown for investing, plenty of options.

One thing that came as a surprise to a friend who was given an Omega Seamaster, was the weight. It now resides in a drawer as he couldn't get on with it.
Even my Seiko chronograph is a bit of a lump after most watches.

Not what the OP is looking for, but yes. Had my work G-Shock for well over ten years in all sorts of conditions. It still looks almost the same and it's never let me down. OP - good luck in your enviable position, and being biased it would have to be an Omega Seamaster. For rare dressing up times, some sort of reasonably priced Omega bling. I've seen new Omega Blueys at around £6,000, linky Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean "Big Blue".
Omega_Seamaster_PlanetOcean_BigBlue_reclining_1000-570x403.jpg

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Brassange Hatton garden for excellent pre owned reflexes. Boxes, papers tags the lot. Why pay new price when they or Austin Kate can save you a few Bob. Have a shift I on their website if they have one. I have purchased four, yes four reflexes from them and all were brahmahs.

Latest Threads