Prescription steroids

Purely out of curiosity.
Ex army, currently re-applying for Army Reserves.
Recently found out I MAY need to go onto Testosterone Replacement Therapy due to low test.
If this happens, I will be on prescription test, and I am wondering if this will prevent me from re-joining, whether it needs declared, or if there is no worries?
Any answer is appreciated

I have dispensed such drugs for those who were serving. I'd have to check the rules for those joining

I have checked the list of issues on the Army recruiting site, and kothing is mentioned on there.
Note- I am not trans or anything, just producing low test, and for my age, can be dangerous.
Just curious as to whether something like that would be an issue.
Cheers for the quick responses!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had to take steroids before and after major brain surgery while serving.

All declared, no dramas.

I have checked the list of issues on the Army recruiting site, and kothing is mentioned on there.
Note- I am not trans or anything, just producing low test, and for my age, can be dangerous.
Just curious as to whether something like that would be an issue.
Cheers for the quick responses!
Out of interest and obviously don’t reply if you are uncomfortable with it, but how did the docs come to the conclusion you had low testosterone? What indicators were there to prompt them to do the blood tests?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

All declared, no dramas.
Repairing or removing?

Out of interest and obviously don’t reply if you are uncomfortable with it, but how did the docs come to the conclusion you had low testosterone? What indicators were there to prompt them to do the blood tests?
Last year, I had a solid few month of being ill, including the likes of lack of sex drive, slow recovery, fatigue, and restless slew. One thing went to another, and 2 blood tests they realised that my test was dangerously low.
Flash forward to new years, they wanted another blood test to see if they had raised - nope. They had dropped even more.
So far between January and today, I have had 5 tests, all showing low test (lowest so far is 3.9/ml).
They got me an appointment next month with Endocrinology to see what they want to consider.

If you require treatment, push to have the injection. It’s every 12 weeks.

Last year, I had a solid few month of being ill, including the likes of lack of sex drive, slow recovery, fatigue, and restless slew. One thing went to another, and 2 blood tests they realised that my test was dangerously low.
Flash forward to new years, they wanted another blood test to see if they had raised - nope. They had dropped even more.
So far between January and today, I have had 5 tests, all showing low test (lowest so far is 3.9/ml).
They got me an appointment next month with Endocrinology to see what they want to consider.
Whichever treatment method they decide it will take a while to get the dose right. Up until January this year I was on TRT since 2016. I started at 7.2/ml then went up to 68/ml. The dosage was fine tuned and brought me down to around 18/ml to 25/ml.

I unfortunately thought TRT was going to be some magical silver bullet, but it wasn't. Don't get me wrong it is great in some aspects. It stopped me getting all teary eyed and also stopped me looking at pastel colours, cushions, lampshades, throws, and any other female nest building shoit.

Now without putting a downer on things, some people do have side effects with TRT me included. I've always been a fat knacker but I went from 16.4 stone to 18.8 stone in the first 2 yrs of TRT. That's without any changes to diet or exercise. Since stopping TRT my weight has shot up to 19.8 Stone, so it really messes with your hormones. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :D)

My BP also continued to rise steadily until this year my GP told me that I'd pretty much exhausted the BP medication. On doing a blood test it was found that my blood was too thick. This has been attributed to TRT and so since January I have stopped taking it.

I'm now due another blood test in April to see if my blood has thinned out, and to see what my Testosterone level is. My testosterone level is obviously going to be low but I might just have to live with that if my blood has thinned out.

At least my testicles are back to their normal pre TRT size, yes weirdly they can shrink whilst taking TRT.

All declared, no dramas.
during service is different to before joining/rejoining.
Many conditions that require ongoing treatment/medication are a bar to entry/re-entry.

during service is different to before joining/rejoining.
Many conditions that require ongoing treatment/medication are a bar to entry/re-entry.
But surely TRT could be different?
You can stop TRT whenever you want, all it means is that your test levels will return to their natural state.
Again guys, I do doubt it will get to the stage where I need TRT. I just want to make sure I have a plan or if I am good to go for the worste case scenario!

Latest Threads