Prescription Charges Rise

As Smartascarrots never gets tired of posting but I'll do it again anyway: It's due to the way that the English chose to implement a parochial arrangement that means English students can only claim funds from their local LEA. Scottish (and indeed the rest of the EU) students are not so constrained.
Sorry to correct you there, but I’m actually pretty threaders with having to correct the same old chippish 'poor, persecuted English' bile and ignorance time after time after time after…zzzzzzz. Still, a stoot he’rt tae a stae brae, and all that.

They have even stated that anyone attending a Scottish education facility from Europe won't pay fees, with the exception of those from England. Hmmm.
That would probably be because it’s cost neutral for SAAS to pay up front for qualifying EU nationals because their governments will refund the costs back to SAAS afterwards whereas English LEAs won’t – the sponging bastards.

It feels like we are being leeched off.
To quote the late, great Spike Milligan, you must be feeling the wrong bits.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Prescriptions been free in NI and wales for some years.
Those in Scotland have been gradually coming down in price to see what effect was and if it would be cost effective to go all teh way and make them free.
The actual cost of administering the payment system was nearly as high as the amount of money brought in by it.
Another reason for free prescriptions is that due to socio-econimics, those that are in the poorer and more deprived area are those who require most medications and have been for many years been exempt from payment. It is those just above the poverty level who often felt they had could not afford the high charges for prescriptions and thus were not always taking the correct meds as they would only get one item.
This led to extra burden on the health system as folk just did not get better. Theoritaclly more people should now take full courses of treatment and stay healthier for longer which reduces the impact on the health service and saves money in the long run.

There are and have been for some time major differences in the way that the health services are run in the different countries of the UK. England is a far more business type model involved, is far more money and target orientated whilst Scotland is more clinician led and patient focused.

As regards what the Scottish government is doing... wait until the money starts to run out and Mr Salmon has to explain the Scottish people why charges might/will have to be introduced, or taxes go up (assuming they can raise revenue this way). He won't be s popular by then...

Soldier_Why

LE
As regards what the Scottish government is doing... wait until the money starts to run out and Mr Salmon has to explain the Scottish people why charges might/will have to be introduced, or taxes go up (assuming they can raise revenue this way). He won't be s popular by then...
I am led to believe that the cost of administering the prescription charge in Scotland is barely covered by the revenue received from it.

I'll see if I can dig out the figures.

It's not Barclays Bank, the NHS isn't there to make a profit.
Tell that to Ipswich Hospital in Suffolk. They had to be ordered to stop turning away NHS patients because all of the empty beds in the hospital were reserved for private patients only.

IIRC, this was the same place that kept patients waiting for months for scans while offering an "on demand" service to local vets who paid cash to have MRI, CT and PET scans for animals.

Prioritising private patients in an NHS hospital is bad enough. Putting animals with wealthy owners at the top of the queue is having a laugh. Funny how it took a Tory government to put a stop to that type of abuse.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I am led to believe that the cost of administering the prescription charge in Scotland is barely covered by the revenue received from it.

I'll see if I can dig out the figures.
Not sure if these are exactly the ones you want
Prescribing/Dispensing Costs

But in discussion with NHS Scotland Chief Exec a while back it was definitely an issue around the relatively low return against the shear amount of administration.

Soldier_Why

LE
It's not Barclays Bank, the NHS isn't there to make a profit.
Who said it was? Are you agreeing that a system that costs as much to operate as it takes in should be canned? Or are you saying that a system that costs as much to operate as it takes in is a good thing?

Soldier_Why

LE
Not sure if these are exactly the ones you want
Prescribing/Dispensing Costs

But in discussion with NHS Scotland Chief Exec a while back it was definitely an issue around the relatively low return against the shear amount of administration.
I've not had a chance to do any digging yet but I seem to recall that the figures were that around 92% of the prescription drug bill in NHS Scotland was spent on those individuals who already get free prescriptions.

Latest Threads