Prescribed literature

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by lucky_number_ten, Oct 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the process of applying to be an officer and was wondering if there are any books I should read that would be helpful towards my selection board?
  2. I found that I didn't really need any books for AOSB preparation; my advice would be to focus your reading on current affairs. Reading broadsheets, tabloids and a couple of journals like the Week and the Economist will give you a good broad perspective.
    Best of luck
  3. As above, apart from the Charles Heyman guide to the British army. Invaluable.
  4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As other's have said include Heyman Guide, but I would also recommend reading something like this: Pears' Cyclopaedia 2010 - 2011: Chris Cook: Books dip into it occassionally, you will find that the computer based tests will throw up a variety of general knowledge, geography, science, astronomy (what's the nearest star other thean the sun to earth?) type questions, very trivial pursuit at points, and it can provide a little benefit when it comes to the essays. But focus on the aforementioned resources primarily.
  5. Flashman series; worked for me!!!!
  6. Thanks very much :)
  7. I totally agree Flashman and Szen Hassel worked for me, but that was in the late 70's.

I heard of someone who came unstuck with questions on theatre and some author called RM Ballantyne, so it seems they are after big boys and girls books and it sounds as if you have to seriously get in contact with your artistic side!

For those in the know, how significant are the educators (RAEC) in the AOSB process?
  8. learn who composed the music to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter!
  9. I believe I may have answered 20 out of 120 correctly but I still got through. I think that side of testing is just to see if you need to go to Pre-RMAS, but still increase your overall general knowledge wherever you can.
  10. I bought The British Army - A pocket guide by Charles Heyman

A lot of good information in it, Though Its very stats heavy, (not neccessarily a bad thing) and isn't the easiest thing to sit and read for hours on end.