Pres.Putin proposes mr.Medvedev as as presidential candidate

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

The servant is waiting for orders from the master.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Too True,

Do you like your master's style of democracy too, Sergey?
  3. so now we know who Putin sees as the weakest and most pliable candidate who is least likely to turn on him after he steps down.
    Look on the bright side though - at least it isn't Sergei "Darth Vader" Ivanov.
  4. Mate, I travel across Russia. Just yesturday I returned for the city of Rybinsk (350 km to North from Moscow). Tomorrow I will fly to Bashkortostan. Two weeks ago I have been to Siberia.

People across Russia mainly think about their every day problems and not super politically active. Meanwhile life goes better and better. Many Russian think that it happened thanks to Putin. I don't think that Putin is an ideal political leader, not at all. He is not from my point of view one of the best. But the majority of the Russians disagrees with me. And I must accept it (it is one of corner-stones of democracy) that the majority wish to see Putin and his crew as power-keepers.

It is a big success of mr.Putin, his polit-technologists, his aides that they managed to create attractive image of a national leader, that economy is booming, that living standards are improving.

Returning to your question I should say that really there is practically no difference between Western and Russian styles of democracy.
  5. in_the_cheapseats

That may be your perception, Sergey. It is far from the truth.
  6. So Western democracy is even worse than Russian one?
  7. in_the_cheapseats

We at least do not fall willingly into the arms of one who is, de facto, a dictator.
  8. Indeed no. We just sleepwalk into their arms.
  9. Mate, what is the difference between mr.Putin and mr.Blair? If Putin is 'de facto a dictator' then why mssrs Blair and Brown are not dictators?
  10. Our journalists can- and do- criticise them, without being double-tapped in the forehead outside their front doors.
  11. Russian journalists (and anybody) have absolutely the same right. If you have a lot of money you are free to buy (or establish) a newspaper or TV channel and criticise anybody including mr.Putin.

Late ms.Politkovskaya was not the only journalist in Novaya gazeta newspaper. Other journalists in this edition are Putin's critics as well

It is a fresh cartoon from the newspaper

In Russian 'Medved' means 'a bear'. So the cartoon refers to Putin's candidate Medvedev as a puppet of 'the big bear'.
  12. in_the_cheapseats

Your opinion or mine don't matter - international perception is that you don't know what you are talking about, Sergey. :roll:
  13. That is actually a rather good cartoon.
  14. Interesting, not so much a "changing of the guard" as a "rotation of the chair". Russia's new Tzars.

Russia's increasing prosperity is closely attributed to that blue squiggle on the right.

It's probably for the best, I don't know if a Chess Champion would have really cut the mustard, though i'm sure he'd have made a shrewd tactican. Perhaps an appointment in the Navy?
  15. The officials are apparently biased. And they failed to mention what actually was made wrong (except the Russians voted wrongly from their point of view).