Preparing partridge

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by .Dolly, Oct 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have two brace of partridge hanging in my garage that were shot on Saturday; tonight's the night that I'll be getting intimately acquainted with the beasts so I'm looking for tips on making the job simple(r), and most importantly, proper. Presumably, the only two options are to skin them or pluck them, but which would yield the best results? I know the theory on how to remove the crop and the guts but reassurance and some experienced know-how would be gratefully received.

Cheers :)

PS. Whatever state they end up in after my ministrations they'll be going into the fridge until the weekend, if that makes a difference :?
  2. Take them to a butcher??
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If they have hung long enough they should pluck ok (pull against the grain) then you can roast as any other bird. Other easy option is to remove the breasts as filets if you are handy enough to make a decent job of it, more tricky to cook right though, best is slow frying to cook through followed/preceeded by a quick braising.

Serve with sliced pears and melted Roquefort cheese...... :hungry:
  4. What's a butcher? I thought all meat came pre-packed from a supermarket... Thanks for that Poindexter :roll:
  5. Damn your eyes man, I'm hungry now after reading that! What wine would you recommend?

6. Thanks for that. I'm unfamiliar with partridge but am aware they shouldn't be hung anywhere near as long as pheasant...? Keen to keep the whole bird rather than trash it just for the breast so will try plucking. I'm new to feathers having only skinned rabbit before.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

How long to hang depends a bit on the temperature and variation in temperature, should be cool and constant if possible. Try pulling feathers on bits you won't cook (arse and neck) to see if it will go ok, usually 3-4 days is enough.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

[Tokay] Pinot Gris from Alsace..... :wink:
    A decent grand cru goes for around Euro 7 upwards....
  9. MMMMMMMMMMM I am really looking forward to my phesant tonight :) :)
  10. My grandma used to dip a bird into a pan of boiling water to make plucking easy.
  11. Good luck! I had 4 last Christmas time, tried plucking the first and nearly tore the thing to bits, decided to go for just the breast and a little butchery, it turned out well and probably the way I'd approach the problem again. I've never had the same problem with pheasants which seem easy in comparison.
  12. Mission accomplished last night, four tasty looking birds are gracing my fridge :D

I must have dextrous fingers as, despite deciding to skin the birds, I thought I might as well try my hand at plucking and seem to have knack. Slightly worrying was my lack of hesitation or gag reflex in putting my finger where it really shouldn't go and hoiking out the various organs and entrails - in fact I rather enjoyed reminding myself of a bit of biology!

Friday night will hopefully see succulent and tasty birds (minus tooth breaking shot) being washed down with several bottles of something suitable. I shalln't be crowing *groan* too loudly though in case I'm voluntold to deal with the Christmas turkey!