Prepare for WTO

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes there is a lot of clueless meanderings, even from MPs who you'd think would know better.

For instance May's deal would require ratification from Parliament, assuming they ever vote in favour of it, however under the Constitutional Affairs act any such ratification would require the details to be laid before Parliament for 21 sitting days prior to any vote. Hence the deadline for such is.... tomorrow.

Yet the next non binding motion isn't due till the 28th of Feb.

A second referendum would require primary legislation plus time to campaign, even if the question itself were already known. I doubt anyone even with the best of intents could get this through with cross party support in under 5 or 6 months.... Hence it would actually have to be a referendum on rejoining the EU. Which would mean the badly misunderstood term of the single market... Ie accepted the Euro and everything else sans rebate.

Extending Article 50 is a no go too as it would require primary legislation to revoke the Withdrawal Act, which states that we leave on 29th March. Also the ECJ have ruled that we can only extend if it is to remain in the EU / have a second ref etc.

Now bringing primary legislation to do such is..... technically possible but unlikely. Some bills such as the Dangerous Dogs act have gone through all stages of legislation in pretty short order, well weeks, but had cross party support and used Parliamentary time which wasn't otherwise allocated. Wouldn't take much fillibustering or copious amendments to force such out of time, even if there were enough votes for it, which there are not.

Think there are 6 or 7 bills that will need to be passed prior to Brexit itself concerning Immigration, Trade, Agriculture and the like so the remaining parliamentary time isn't free.

So the law of the land is clear, though still confusion seems to reign.

And the reason for this is quite simple. The Prime Minister and especially the Civil Servants directly under her (supposed) control don't feel that they should be contrained by the law.

The Withdrawal Act received assent and became law on the 26th of June last year. Everything the Government, PM and civil service has done since, including Chequers in early July, seeks to break the law.

triggerigger

Old-Salt
Back in the 1860's, the Americans had a dispute between the individual states of the Union.

They resolved it by having a Civil War. This got a result, but killed over half a million citizens in the process.

Is that the way to go?
Yes definitely

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I blame the gas pipe installation, sorry I mean Brexit.
Gas, a luxury I fear we will never see. Even in the early days of mains gas. The mere mention of the postcode was met with a shake of the head. The maps still have ‘here be dragons’ on them. I used to be able to tell when an election council and upwards was being discussed, they were out fixing the roads.

And I’ll not mention the state of our roads as opposed to the free states, talk about a turnaround.

UORMan

War Hero
The only reason a load of villages in Lincolnshire got connected to the gas main, was because the RAF decided they wanted gas on the bases. Still, there are places where half the village is on the mins, and the other half isn't.

Gas, a luxury I fear we will never see. Even in the early days of mains gas. The mere mention of the postcode was met with a shake of the head. The maps still have ‘here be dragons’ on them. I used to be able to tell when an election council and upwards was being discussed, they were out fixing the roads.

And I’ll not mention the state of our roads as opposed to the free states, talk about a turnaround.
We are over a mile from the pipe so fat chance. Incidentally been down south recently? Roads are going back to the way they were, especially near the boarder where southeners are going north for cheap groceries, booze and prescriptions.

When they were digging in the gas pipeline from the mainland to NI, the ex-father-in-law told me a story. Apparently some farmer from Larne bribed one of the pipe-layers to run him a spare pipe from the mains to his farm; all sneaky like; for free gas. And paid him a backhander of three-hundred-quid for his trouble.

A few days later the gas stopped coming, so the farmer dug out his pipe-line and found it attached to a gas bottle.

It's probably one of 'those stories' though.

The same bloke introduced me to the fella who sank the Titanic. But that's a different story (he didn't put the last rivet in it).

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Back in the 1860's, the Americans had a dispute between the individual states of the Union.

They resolved it by having a Civil War. This got a result, but killed over half a million citizens in the process.

Is that the way to go?
Can we reshoot 'Gone With The Wind' then?

I have a crinoline already, if it helps.

Well, weekends can be long and boring sometimes.

Latest Threads