Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0

Crow
Hi all. I've been giving a lot of thought to enlisting but my one big hang-up is to do with return of service. I want to serve in the infantry but 4 years seems like it could be too much. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I love life in the army, because I think I might, rather I don't want to rule out the possibility that I find it to be a nightmare. So with that said, would anyone please explain to me how PVR really works? For example, would it be easy enough to leave after, say, 2 years of service?

Thanks for your help in advance.

How PVR worked you mean?

If you sign up, you're doing 4 years. If you can't handle that don't join up.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
If you're already researching how to leave before you've even joined, please do us all a favour and don't even bother turning up.

It's a reasonable question. You'd need to be a complete mong to sign your life away for 4 years without understanding the options.

Usually the ones trying to get out early are the utter scrotes and admin vortexes who are loudly declaring they have a job paying £40,000 a year when they get out, despite having no skills or qualifications at the ripe age of 19.

Hi all. I've been giving a lot of thought to enlisting but my one big hang-up is to do with return of service. I want to serve in the infantry but 4 years seems like it could be too much. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I love life in the army, because I think I might, rather I don't want to rule out the possibility that I find it to be a nightmare. So with that said, would anyone please explain to me how PVR really works? For example, would it be easy enough to leave after, say, 2 years of service?

Thanks for your help in advance.

If you are under 18 you can leave at any time (after some minor paperwork) any older than that you have to serve 3 years then give one years notice. The only exceptions would be for welfare/compassionate/discipline reasons (and no its not easy to do)

matt0

Crow
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I may love it, I only want to know what I'd be signing up for.
It's a reasonable question. You'd need to be a complete mong to sign your life away for 4 years without understanding the options.
Cheers DeltaDog.
If you are under 18 you can leave at any time (after some minor paperwork) any older than that you have to serve 3 years then give one years notice. The only exceptions would be for welfare/compassionate/discipline reasons (and no its not easy to do)
Thanks stacker. But what do you mean by welfare/compassionate/discipline reasons?

Last edited:
Mildly sarcastic answer;
Welfare reasons - there is some massive welfare related reason (or series of welfare reasons) that makes it better for the Army to let you go
Compassionate grounds - as above replace welfare with 'compassionate'
discipline - as above, insert discipline.

Serious answer (as above and.....)

We discharged one chap who managed a whole 4 hours are ATR Winchester before he was discovered caught up in the fence having had too much of army life and tried doing a runner. All we'd done is given him a bed space and a meal in the cookhouse (it was probably the food that did it to be fair)

Another was a serial self harmer, rejected (eventually) on welfare, medical and compassionate grounds (very serious problems at home creating the stress), allowing him extra leave wasn't enough as it all kicked off once he had returned to training.

Thanks stacker. But what do you mean by welfare/compassionate/discipline reasons?

In extreme circumstances they might let you go. In practice, they almost certainly won't.

Once you're past the point of no return, the Army owns you for 4 years. Forget about doing any less.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
How does it work in the reserves? Can you just up and leave when you feel like it?

Pretty much. To be honest, if unsure about joining the regs, go reserves first. you can transfer or do it properly once you feel more comfortable...

As a slight tangent, why do you have to give a whole years notice to leave? I can understand more than just the standard 4 weeks, due to the length of training, but 12 months just seems...excessive?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
How does it work in the reserves? Can you just up and leave when you feel like it?

Pretty much. You may well get a letter 12 months later asking for your kit back if my 'experience' is anything to go by.

Mildly sarcastic answer;
Welfare reasons - there is some massive welfare related reason (or series of welfare reasons) that makes it better for the Army to let you go
Compassionate grounds - as above replace welfare with 'compassionate'
discipline - as above, insert discipline.

Serious answer (as above and.....)

We discharged one chap who managed a whole 4 hours are ATR Winchester before he was discovered caught up in the fence having had too much of army life and tried doing a runner. All we'd done is given him a bed space and a meal in the cookhouse (it was probably the food that did it to be fair)

Another was a serial self harmer, rejected (eventually) on welfare, medical and compassionate grounds (very serious problems at home creating the stress), allowing him extra leave wasn't enough as it all kicked off once he had returned to training.

During my intake at Bassingbourn we had two bods who never even turned up.

As a slight tangent, why do you have to give a whole years notice to leave? I can understand more than just the standard 4 weeks, due to the length of training, but 12 months just seems...excessive?

It stops people quitting every time it gets shit. It's not like junior soldiers stay for the money.

I mean your mother is at deaths door and sneed long term help to aid her through it, you turn into a dribbling lunatic or you ask the RSM if he wants to buy an ounce of your coke.
Generally there are no practical ways of leaving early without ******* yourself over or having a tragedy in the family.

You used to be able to buy yourself out but thats when we actually had enough fit deployable people to go on tour.

If there was a four week period to get out I highly suspect the next time a shit tour was on the table people would be bailing out well before it took place.

You used to be able to buy yourself out but thats when we actually had enough fit deployable people to go on tour.

If there was a four week period to get out I highly suspect the next time a shit tour was on the table people would be bailing out well before it took place.

Of course that was put on hold from the moment the unit was warned off for a potential tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads