Premature Birth and miscarriages

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Lordfelcher, Mar 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, I posted this one in charities and welfare but this forum might get it a wider reading by those in the know.
    As you may remember a while ago there was a story in the tabloids about an unusually high occurence of premature birth and miscarriages in service families, where a member of the family had been deployed on TELIC 1. There was lots of speculation as to the cause of this ranging from anthrax injections through to DU poisoning. Then the story seemed to fade away.
    My wife and I also lost our daughter in similar circumstances and it has never been fully understood why it happened. The best the hospital can come up with is "it is just one of them things that sometimes happens".
    When i ask my medical centre I just get fobbed off with sloping shoulders. I have requested DU testing at least 5 times and not one of the staff knows how to go about it. Its coming up to 2 years now and im still no closer to getting it done. I thought I might have been a priority as I spent weeks on end clearing bombed out Iraqi tanks and APCs that had been hit by DU rounds.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. Also if anyone is officially investigating these occurences i would like to know how to get in touch with them, thankyou.
  2. Have you contacted the Gulf War Veterans society? They may well know where to go to, also, if my memory serves me correct, the AMS where supposed to be offering DU testing to those on Telic 1 exposed to DU rounds, so no excuse from your Med centre there!

I'll have a snoop around and see what I pull out!

3. Thank you,

We were briefed on departure from Basra Airport by a QARANC Capt that we would get called forward for testing. Unfortunately Im at a unit that "lodges" at another units med cen. This med cen has no military staff apart from the dental staff, it relies on visiting locums and there is as far as I know no single GP appointed as the MO.
  4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

As stated, GW Vets and RBL can look into any probs you have encountered. Plus get hold of your Brigade or Div Med Branch and rev them up also. They can provide advice.
  5. had problems on that arrse called the intranet :roll: Will try tomorrow again
  6. I remember a tv programme a few years ago where there was a high incidence of abnormalities in babies born to soldiers returnng from Gulf War 1. It seems like they haven't learned from that.
  7. Lordfelcher

Go to the following site:

...and request a copy of Surgeon General's Policy Letter 08/03 (SGPL 08/03). This should tell you what you need to know.
  8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Or better still, make an appointment to see the Surgeon General!
  9. Thanks, I have got lots to work on now