Pregnant RAF officer awarded £16,000 for discrimination

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by spike7451, Jun 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

First we had the RAF Typist winning thousands for RSI & now this!!
    She's in the Armed Forces serving her country ,not in a friggin secretarial pool for some big firm ffs!
    How long was she in MPA before discovering she was up the duff anyway?
    A disgrace to the service imho & a f*cking embaressment!
    She missed her performance review because she took leave,well that show's what was more important to her & it was'nt her career!

2. She should have bee Court Martialed for a self inflicted wound IMHO
  3. I suppose she was awarded 16K because they RAF didnt make her attend a course on prophylaxis prior to deploying. They should deduct the money from her husbands salary - assuming the impregnation is his.
  4. The typist you are referring to was not in the RAF, but worked on an RAF unit! Never let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

Curious that the performance review wasnt undertaken at the next available opportunity.
  5. I support this ruling, not because of the case material (i don't know enough about it), but because it helps to create precident that can be utilised to increase the working rights of pregnant women.

Sometimes you have to slap an employer around the face with a pay award to change attitudes. The MoD is no different.
  6. A pretty fair decision as far as I see it.
  7. Surely the husband would be best placed to do the performance review.
  8. payout arise because of shoite management that causes bad feeling which causes bitterness etc

Could have been avoided with a bit of common dog applied in a logical manner

But that is beyond the realms of a lot of the forces "management" who couldn't manage front of house at a quiet Mc D's
  9. Off-topic, but if you are referring to the same previous case I think you are, the "RAF typist" was a serving SACW.
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Dunno about the Army,but when I was doing my tour down the Falklands,you had performance review just before you left the islands at the end of your tour.I cant see how she could'nt have nipped into her old bosses office during her leave for a half hour chat without coffee..

I was indeed Hackle.
  11. On the reported facts, I agree.
  12. I too think this to be fair. They didnt have to bring her back, she was riding a desk. It seems to be really shoddy HR. It isnt as if she asked to be brought back. Or so the article says :evil:
  13. So, women can't be safely pregnant in the FI? Makes you wonder how the locals have survived over the last 200 years or so. This is p*ss poor management and leadership from her superiors - another case of the Armed Forces shooting themselves in the foot.....
  14. see now, that's HOW they get away with the 'discrimination' bit! Rightly or wrongly, it only takes a few comments like that to be overheard by her or her friends and she has a discrimination case presented on a plate to her!
  15. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Please reassure me you're not still serving?