pregnant girlfriend, me going on tour?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by bart84, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my girlfriend has recently found out that she is having our first child. she is due while i will be in afghan tho. was just wondering what, if anything, would change pay wise but more importantly will i be entitled to any leave etc and if there were problems or she was early or late would this constitute compassionate grounds for getting me back?
    i will be on about month 4 of a 6 month tour. i am set on going on tour by the way and not looking for a get out clause. I know i need to speak to my chief clerk and hierarchy but its not common knowledge at the moment.
  2. Well I'd make it common knowledge if I were you and get things in motion ASAP.

Congratulations by the way.
  3. cheers. got few months before i go but just wanna get good idea of where i stand, also dont wanna get f"$ked off with typical army fob offs so i want to get better idea of everything before i start ball rolling officially.
  4. Good luck ;)
  5. Possible that your R&R could be fitted around when she's due (although if she's late/early this may not work!).

It would be a lot easier if you were married, tbh. Regarding your rights etc. Not that you should if you don't want to!
  6. how do things differ if i were married? its on the cards and not out the question before i go, especially if its gonna improve things. been told off a few married mates that things like the paternity leave are only guaranteed if its not your first child as the army is giving you the time off to look after the others, but i wanna get as many opinions/facts as i can.
  7. Typical Army Fob offs like:

Needs of the service or Operational imperative do you mean.

How selfish of the army not to plan a war around your social needs :wink:
  8. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Has she begun to Lactate yet?

mmmmmmmmmmmm titty milk
  9. If you were married, things like quarters, leave etc. would be almost certain as she is then your spouse - as a girlfriend, she isn't legally recognised as your partner so the Army has a strong case to not have to send you back.

Though the Army and your CoC will definitely do as much as possible to help you out where possible. Obviously no one here has sight of what's actually going on with you and your situation, so anything said here is speculation.
  10. exactly caarps, selfish of the green machine. and they wouldnt give me last tuesday off even tho i was hanging out for a pint.
    But this is bit different and im trying to find out where i stand as i want to go afghan but i will obviously do all i can to get back for my first borns birth if it is at all possible. if for whatever reason its not possible then thats my problem for signing on the dotted line and thats the way it is but if i can have my cake and eat it then im gonna do whatever i can to make it happen.
  11. One of the lads I was on H8 with's girlfriend dropped a sprog about 4 months into the tour - no issues with him getting home at all.

As other posters have said, inform your CoC asap, get the due dates squared away and get your R&R request in.
  12. uh oh someones bit frustrated im guessing.
  13. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Not at all, I just love big heaving breasts full to the brim with jug milk.

Get them rubbed with oil and get her to give you a bombay roll and ask her to spray you with nork seepage as you do it.
  14. hi you are entitled to paternity leave but this can be taken up to 3 months after birth of baby my hubby was on tour when i was pregnant with my first we werent married then so he had to take his r and r as close to the dates that we could he was told if i had it early he would be able to come back sooner but if i went over and he had had his r and r he wouldnt be able to get back. so i would book r and r as close to date as possible if she has it early at least you will be there as soon as you can afterwards hope this helps
  15. haha sounds nice, although im not really a fan of chinese.
    Be in afghan when she starts lactating but i can assure you i will be getting her to express some and send it out to me. hopefully by time it gets out to me itll be all warm and lumpy too.