Pregnancy/maternity in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Navigation eagle, Jul 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could anyone point me in the right direction for pregnancy/maternity regulations for TA soldiers, have looked everywhere for guidance but have only found information for full time reserves. Have also gone through chain of command but as I'm in an infantry unit it's not something they routinely come across, this is my second pregnancy and don't want a repeat of last time where people guessed the rules and then turned out to be wrong.

2. Not sure what rules or regulations you are looking for but I'll have a stab at it (pun intended). As PAP 10 applies to the regular army and the army reserve:

Chap 1 - 3
    c. P4 – Medically fit for duty within the limitations of pregnancy. Pregnant personnel are graded P4 and attract a JMES deployment standard of Medically not deployable (MND).

Chap 1- 10
    Pregnancy
    0130. The Environmental and Medical Support Grading of E6 is only to be used where an officer or soldier has formally advised their employer of pregnancy (eg using F Med 790) and written consent given for JMES to be displayed as E6 or a contemporaneous record made in clinical notes confirming that permission is granted. Regardless of whether the grading of E6 is used, the deployability coding is reduced to MND (Temp).

Chap 2 - 3
    TA Re-Engagement
    0208. When a member of the TA applies to re-engage, he/she is to be medically examined. Part 3 of the AF E7546 must only be signed by a medical officer.

3. HHH

HHH LE

Surely if you knew the last time the rules were wrong then you must have known the correct ones.

4. I'm going to get spanked for this, but why don't you ask your doctor instead of asking on a random internet site?

Psst, I don't care actually. If I thought you were for real, I'd help.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bend over.

The likelihood is that her doctor won't have a scooby about the TA. The TA don't have access to Army doctors so everything's in the hands of her clerks and her CO.

Re the P4 grading, by the time she gets seen by an Army doctor, she'll probably have had the kid. Then she'll have an equally long wait to get the grading removed.

The common sense approach is for her to advise her CO of the pregnancy (FMed 790) who then says "Take a year off, I'll keep you on strength for 18 months. If you don't come back to me by then, either to resume training or extend the leave of absence, make arrangements to hand your kit in." He can do this without going through the rigmarole of organising a visit to an Army doctor.

It's not really sensible to do otherwise. Health and Safety legislation requires that unless a pregnant woman and her unborn or newborn child can be guaranteed to be safe*, time off with pay has to be granted. The downer in being in the TA is that she won't get Army pay while sitting at home, though she may be eligible for Bounty (CO's decision).

*This includes any form of strenuous work, physiological and psychological stress and working nights.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I knew you'd turn up eventually Old Man xxx

7. Friend of mines wife was in a TA infantry unit, her GP had no idea about Army rules, the RMO was some doddery bugger 80 miles away, and the clerks didn't really have an idea where to start looking as it had never happened before. She attended until she was about 4 months gone (3 months keeping it to herself, one month of being fucked around) then dekitted because everyone was clueless and left

There's every chance there is a clerk here who might know at least where to start looking

8. Interestingly, from TA Regs...

But there's no equivalent mention for the rank and file.

There is, however, a section in the CO's Certificate of Efficiency that allows for a woman to be awarded Bounty if she has missed ITDs as a result of being pregnant, so it seems that pregnancy isn't a chargeable offence.

9. In my copy of TA Regs (up to Amdt 35) I did find:

ANNEX G TO CHAPTER 2
    CERTIFICATE OF EFFICIENCY AND ATTENDANCE REGISTERS
    (PARAS 2.058-2.059 AND 2.061-2.066 REFER)

9. Waivers. Commanding officers may apply to the appropriate one-star commander for the granting of a waiver in specific cases for those individuals who have attempted but not passed all MATT tests provided they have qualified for bounty in all other respects. Such waivers are to be reviewed annually and are not required for individuals who have been excused specific MATT tests for medical reasons or pregnancy.

Also

APPENDIX 1 TO ANNEX G TO CHAPTER 2
    COMMANDING OFFICER’S CERTIFICATE OF EFFICIENCY
    (PARAS 2.058-2.059 REFER)

2. Remarks: (insert any qualifying comments to explain variations from normal, e.g. such items as: extended training year, excused specific MATTs due to pregnancy, MATTs completed or passed at RTMC or during FTRS)

So it seems according to TA Regs if pregnant you can still train just can't do MATTs.

In practice, my last unit being a Med Regt, pregnant personnel attended training when/where they were able, did a suitable course instead of annual camp and were qualified for bounty before they went away until after the birth etc.

10. You can mobilise for an op tour when pregnant.... A Fijian managed it no problems...

11. ^ Misleading post, so less than **** all help - the woman didn't know she was pregnant.

12. Thank you for your replies, most are very useful, especially the ones about certificate of efficiency and bounty. When I was pregnant last time I attended until I was a week overdue and returned five weeks after the birth because I was told I needed to get my days in although had to be unpaid training as I was on maternity leave from my civilian employer.

13. I hope you've changed your unit. Only an idiot would allow you to attend that late in pregnancy. Also, WTF has maternity leave got to do with getting paid for training - it's none of the Army's business and not illegal. The only people who may be slightly miffed are your employers but there's nothing they can do about it because they're bound by legislation.

Your CoC can argue that you shouldn't turn up for training on health reasons (in which case you'd be sent away if you turned up) or they accept that you're fit enough to train, in which case you get paid the same as everybody else.

That's aside from the waiver of training for your Bounty which is clearly shown as an option on the Certificate of Efficiency.

• Like Like x 1
  14. That'll be why the OP was going on about no one knowing the rules first time round and asking here for a heads up

15. That was the whole point of it.... Why post about pregnancy matters on here? Do people not have their own brains than post on a forum asking questions like these? Bravo_Bravo are you the dad?