Predicament

Alright lads, just to throw it out there I'm 23 now and quite eager to get my application underway towards the end of July once I feel I'm ready to take the cognitive test as I'm not that good academically so I want to have a good chance of getting where I want to go. I've decided like many (hopefully not too many) I want to go down the route of carpenter in the Royal engineers and then eventually join 24 commando if all goes well

So heres my predicament; a month ago I went to see a doctor regarding a varicocele vein in my left testicle that sometimes gives me a little dull ache down there. He told me it's nothing too much to worry about and gave me the option of having a "simple" key hole surgery op to get it sorted, which I accepted and said I should hear from them in around 3/4 months.

I know this doesn't stop anyone from joining the army so that's not my worry, my worry is how I should go about this as I really dont want to waste anymore time.

Should I...

• Apply and let the recruiter know about this from the offset.
• Apply, attend the assessment centre and go from there.
• Dont apply yet and wait however long I've got to wait to find out when to have the op.

Just to point out I dont have any problems running or going the gym with this it's more because it's there I'd like it gone for what it can cause. I just dont want to look the idiot by not saying anything and getting caught out but then I dont want to open my mouth when I didn't need to and cause set backs. Sorry for the novel I just wanted to get my circumstance across to try and get the best answer.

Thanks for your time, appreciate any advice!

I'd suggest having the surgery and getting fully recovered before throwing yourself into training, you don't want to get part way into it then have to stop for weeks and lose fitness whilst you're healing then have to build yourself back up again. Get all the paperwork side of your application sorted and find out from the surgeon how long your recovery is likely to be so you have a timetable for joining.

I'd suggest having the surgery and getting fully recovered before throwing yourself into training, you don't want to get part way into it then have to stop for weeks and lose fitness whilst you're healing then have to build yourself back up again. Get all the paperwork side of your application sorted and find out from the surgeon how long your recovery is likely to be so you have a timetable for joining.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have thought that as it does sound logical I just didn't know whether to get things out the way that I can i.e fitness and cognitive test, probably get signed off as temporary medically unfit and then go back and start front there when I'm sorted? The job I do at the moment is very physical and involves heavy lifting and the doctor said even the recovery then would be 1 or 2 week.

Considering how long Capita take to process applications, usually after they've lost your paperwork at least once, you may as well chance getting the aptitude tests and selection done if you can, it's only a two day process and most of that is sat in the med centre waiting to be seen.

ugly

LE
I'd agree, frankly if it needs surgery I'd rather a very good surgeon did it whilst a civvy so if something goes wrong you have some form of comeback. Going into the services with a known problem is storing up problems for the future.
The Army will still be there and your career will still be waiting!

How long are Crapita taking to process applicants? I say apply now and chances are you will be fit by the time basic training starts.
Unlike my self, phone call on Thursday. Started training on the Monday.

The truth is, currently it is taking 8 - 11 weeks from your Army Brief to Assessment Centre.

If you are waiting to have medical procedures done then you will get deferred / rejected at the first hurdle, until the procedures are completed, and you will probably never make it passed the initial medical triage call.

That said, apply and see how you get on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info fellas! Ended up going to one of the offices anyway for a chat and found out some things I didn't know aswell. Just going to apply, I'm bound to get somewhere at least.