Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-Training Fitness

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
You conflate having the muscle definition of a body builder and the necessary dietary habit with being fit enough to enter Phase 1/Basic training. Not only does one not need to do so, it can be counter-productive.

In the cookhouse, you'll be fed what you are fed; it will not include high-protein shakes, low-fat foodstuffs and creatin lotions and potions. One will not be working out in a high-spec high-tech gymnasium, clad in lycra and wearing the latest in Nike air-sole cushioned cross-trainers. Which makes me wonder if you ever went through Basic. The Army's aim is not to create physically perfect poster pinup specimens.

Its high-calorie cookhouse stodge, and good-old-fashioned beasting sessions in a gym with a few mats and ropes. And it starts from an assumed low-level of fitness, where the only expectation is for the recruit to put in maximum effort, gradually building up to a higher degree of practical fitness, not muscle definition and a diet-enhanced six-pack.

To the OP, don't panic, keep up a reasonably decent standard, and you'll be ahead of the pack. You'll still be expected to give max effort, be sweating like a the proverbial in a playground and spewing your ring up, and if you aren't you'll get shouted at some more...

****'s sake, let's all dig out D_L...

I look **** all like a bodybuilder... I'm 165lb and if anything, look like a footballer nowadays. I train for grunt like a squaddie or a footballer should. 4 days a week at circuits and half the class is girls, do a bit of running and when I'm in England, attend a class run by a Parachute Regiment PTI and a serving SBS man once a week.

None of it is hi tech... a step, a medicine ball, a barbell and a kettlebell, pretty much. Bags of legs, bags of sprints.

I use creatin for a bit of an edge, yes. But I eat real simple food - I have a bowl of smoked Coley and brown rice in front of me just now with a nob of butter in it. No need for protein shakes.

Army training's not all that. But whatever .. go ahead, pies and chips and do a bit of running - it will set you right up for army life. Don't forget to drink a lot while you're about it.

****'s sake, let's all dig out D_L...

I look **** all like a bodybuilder... I'm 165lb and if anything, look like a footballer nowadays. I train for grunt like a squaddie or a footballer should. 4 days a week at circuits and half the class is girls, do a bit of running and when I'm in England, attend a class run by a Parachute Regiment PTI and a serving SBS man once a week.

None of it is hi tech... a step, a medicine ball, a barbell and a kettlebell, pretty much. Bags of legs, bags of sprints.

I use creatin for a bit of an edge, yes. But I eat real simple food - I have a bowl of smoked Coley and brown rice in front of me just now with a nob of butter in it. No need for protein shakes.

Army training's not all that. But whatever .. go ahead, pies and chips and do a bit of running - it will set you right up for army life. Don't forget to drink a lot while you're about it.

Oooooh, touchy touchy touchy. See, you conflate like ten men. Nowhere did I suggest 'pies and chips and do a bit of running". You are the one who bangs on about diet. You are the one who feels it necessary to bring in a Para Reg PTI and a squeaky boots. You use creatin, and eat Coley and brown rice.

When your choices are do **** all or train with a battered old pair of trains and the ground underneath, option B is far more attractive. Its also the option available to every man jack there is. Amazing what you can do with just the ground around you; run on it, do pressups, situps, star jumps, find a hill and run up it, forwards and backwards. Thats what most of the guys in the 1.5m ADSC thread don't get; they are looking for either an effort-free silver bullet way to improve their run time, or a high-tech solution involving an iBlackDroid smartgadget. Not needed.

Everyone can run, everyone can do pressups and situps - 'calisthenics' it used to be called - not everyone can change what mum can afford to buy for food, join a gym, buy potions and lotions.

Oooooh, touchy touchy touchy. See, you conflate like ten men. Nowhere did I suggest 'pies and chips and do a bit of running". You are the one who bangs on about diet. You are the one who feels it necessary to bring in a Para Reg PTI and a squeaky boots. You use creatin, and eat Coley and brown rice.

When your choices are do **** all or train with a battered old pair of trains and the ground underneath, option B is far more attractive. Its also the option available to every man jack there is. Amazing what you can do with just the ground around you; run on it, do pressups, situps, star jumps, find a hill and run up it, forwards and backwards. Thats what most of the guys in the 1.5m ADSC thread don't get; they are looking for either an effort-free silver bullet way to improve their run time, or a high-tech solution involving an iBlackDroid smartgadget. Not needed.

Everyone can run, everyone can do pressups and situps - 'calisthenics' it used to be called - not everyone can change what mum can afford to buy for food, join a gym, buy potions and lotions.

Now that deserved two likes

'LIKE'

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

DTBA

War Hero
As has already been stated, the requirements are not so high that a strict regime is needed. I've started playing squash again on the days I'm not running and generally end the week with a swim or a hike. The results are good, I was already within the requirements for my chosen role but I've increased my endurance dramatically. Hopefully it'll make the whole process that bit easier.

Obviously, people should aim to be as fit and healthy as possible but I can't help but think offering "extreme" workout programs and drastic diets to someone asking for advice on fitness before TA training is like telling someone interested in passing their driving theory test to attend the M. Schumacher school of motoring.

Okay, I aint doing any white knight bit here but I don't really think that DL is saying that in order to start training you need to totally rearrange your life style and start following the diet and training regime of Mo Farrer. Mearly that healthy eating IS a vital part of any successful training programme. Even the latest fad training programme; Insanity, advises people to follow a clean diet.
Fitness, is one of them issues, that, ten different people will give you ten different answers to. Depending on whether you're a runner or a lifter. Whether you're an endurance runner or a sprinter. Whether you're a body builder or you're training for the World's Strongest Man.
In the Forces, we have to be a jack of all trades, when it comes to fitness. And it's for this reason, that we must train in a number of different ways.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've always liked running a lot and lots of beer. Worked for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Cook my own food, though, mind.

My only advice is to do a bit of hard work and don't buy any snake-oil.

Last edited:

The_Duke

LE
I've always liked running a lot and lots of beer. Worked for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Cook my own food, though, mind.

My only advice is to do a bit of hard work and don't buy any snake-oil.

Snake oil? Never.

PSnake-Oil90xxxxx however is absolutely the best thing ever and without using PSnake-Oil90xxxx you have absolutely no chance of running 2.4Km in under 10.30 or enjoying a walk in the countryside with a mildly weighty back pack. (Apparently).

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Right, you bunch of cnuts - you've all got a like... some more deserved than others.

Yes you can get fitter by training and screw the diet... but to do it properly, you have to screw the nut and eat properly as well. (esp if you want to look good on the back of all that training so's women notice)

D_L. Out.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

How times change.

D

D0DG3R

For the diet its very boring but very simple as without a diet you'll struggle and not build muscle, I don't agree to looking at 'bodybuilders on youtube' hah what a laugh.

You need strength, stamina and overall performance to be throughout your body, as in no area should be lacking and if it is you need to work on it more than the other parts of your body.

Diet: You'll need atleast each and every day 150 grams of protein and 3000 calories a day and plenty of healthy fats and a good amount of carbs for energy otherwise its all pointless training feeling weak.

I personally eat two tins of tuna daily and chicken on most days when training so that I get all the protein I can to uild muscle, stick to compound movements in the gym and if possible run outside and not on a treadmill.

You can easily your self good other food sources till you get targets I have stated above.

Obviously you want to train train train but it needs to be worthwhile training and not half assed, you're trying to improve and once you get to a certain level of fitness you'll be able to cut back on overall training to atleast 2 days a week to maintain what you have so that you don't lose strength.

You'll need to find something deep within for motivation, what makes you want to be in the army for an example, strive for it and work hard, you'll do It mate :) good luck.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Being racist, how kind.

Racism would target one race.

It's not racist if they are all equally worthless.

That's imperialist Redcoat British Evilness and it's not against the law.

Last edited:
D

D0DG3R

Racism would target one race.

It's not racist if they are all equally worthless.

That's imperialist and it's not against the law.

Not against the law, perhaps not but there's no cure for being a cnut is there.

To answer your question I'm white british, is that good enough your lord-ship?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not against the law, perhaps not but there's no cure for being a cnut is there.

To answer your question I'm white british, is that good enough your lord-ship?

So, just pissed then?

Diet: You'll need atleast each and every day 150 grams of protein and 3000 calories a day
Rubbish. You need between 0.6 and 1.1 grams of protein per bodyweight kilo. Depending on age, body type, body fat etc. however, you are correct in that you need to eat more calories.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Fine...

Crack on with your media studies and eating chips and jogging and whatever... I'm a racist redcoat british bastard who knows **** all and eats chips on the quiet.

Enjoy the rest of the thread - I'll not be looking in again.

The_Duke

LE
If you are white British, try typing your posts as if you were educated in this country.

If you don't, you shouldn't be surprised if people assume you work part time in a Mumbai call centre.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Fine...

Crack on with your media studies and eating chips and jogging and whatever... I'm a racist redcoat british bastard who knows **** all and eats chips on the quiet.

Enjoy the rest of the thread - I'll not be looking in again.
Except to give the Duke a like...

But that's definitely it.

Latest Threads