Pre NATO sizing

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dogs_bollox, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me how the sizing went for WW2 garments and pre NATO (60's & 70's) work ?

I've seen trousers sized at 15 that are too small and too long for me and battledress sizes that have no logic to them at all.

At least with the pre NATO sizes of 1 to 9 I think I know what was what;
    1 = small/short
    2 = med /reg
    3 = large short
    4 = med/short
    5 = med/med
    6 = large/reg
    7 = small/long
    8 = med/long
    9 = large/long
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Basically I'm looking for something similar for WW2 kit. My tanksuit is a 6 but that doesn't work with other clothing sizes. It's feckin huge ! Also, how did the Denison sizes work ?

2. Everything was different AFAIK. As an example (yes, I 'walt')

I take BD Blouse 17, BD Trousers 14, Greatcoat 12, Shirts 8, Jersey 3, Socks 9, Headwear 7 7/8.

Think of the sizings as all being like shoe or hat sizes, you need a table of what's what. Might have one .... Somewhere, will check and get back.
  3. Crisis over. I found the pieces of paper I had with the Septic to NATO & pre NATO UK sizing as well as the battledress sizes for blouses and trousers.

I can crawl back from whence I came.

4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Well get it published for us all to see then. :)
  5. It would be easier if anyone wants the charts to pm me with your e-mail address as I've got them as excel spreadsheets. Or, failing that, I can scan a paper copy and e-mail that.

6. You can attach excel spreadsheets to your posts here.