Pre Half Marathon Eating Advice Sought.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JINGO, Feb 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

I am currently training for my first half marathon (myself the wife and a few mates are doing it to raise money for The Household Cavalry Operational Casualties Fund simon johnson is fundraising for The Household Cavalry Central Charitable Fund shameless plug i know). I am training hard when the opportunity presents itself. The main problem I seem to be having is that not having done this kind of event before Im having difficulty getting my pre run eating right.
    I have tried bananas,cereal,jam and toast and my old favourite nothing at all. Having come from the old and bold background of a night on the tiles and do the run drunk Im struggling with the more technical approach my disappearing youth demands.
    Any advice on what is best to eat and how long to wait before running would be very appreciated, I anticipate many replies of a pint of Guiness and a full English etc but it is for a good cause and i would like to get a decent time.
  2. Varies from person to person really Jingo....I've done over 50 of the buggers and I still get it wrong at times. I just stick to tea and toast about 2-3 hours before the run and I may have a hot x bun en route to the race with about 500ml of water. Seems to work for me but as I said...everyone's different.
  3. For half marathon and above I would say that its purely down to personal choice. You could experiment during your training before your longer runs. I personally would go for a large pasta dish the day before and on the day a light breakfast of porridge, scrambled eggs or similar. If its an early start you may have to get up very early to eat but depends on you. Then a banana an hour or so before the race.

Get into an eating routine with your training and for fucks sake dont try anything different the night before! Keep well hydrated too obviously and a few haribos in your pocket or running belt will see you right.

Good Luck.
  4. Or what he said of course!

Are you doing Fleet this year JD?
  5. JINGO

Cheers for that,JD I think that may have been my problem eating a little too close to the actual run. The problem with the training is that i have to get it in before work so cant really afford to get up early enough to eat properly. Should be fine on the day though, I think I may try the bun thing they actually sit a bit easier on the stomach than the scones i tried!
  6. JINGO

Again Cheers for that,it all makes for sound advice. Im going to try a few variations of these on my longer weekend runs thanks. Will see you at Fleet then if you are going for it.
  7. Yeah I will be there. Drop me a PM nearer the time and we can have a pint after!!!
  8. I do that every year and I was waiting for my entry form to turn up as it does every year then I read in the local paper that it's full up already.....Damn them!
  9. Yeah it filled up early this year. I think its the 30th anniversary. I only just got in by press ganging a few others a putting an army team in!
  10. JINGO

I shall do that BOS I expect I will bloody need one.
  11. My hint from my 1st 1/2...

Go for a poo before hand. It's quite hard to maintain the pace with a turtles head!
  12. JD & Bos advice is good advice.

A few pointers.

Drink plenty of water the day before...Helps you run longer without losing breath and reduces chance of cramping up. Also eat plenty of fibre too, pasta is great, maybe crunchy peanut butter on granary toast.

On the race day, when waking, do a few stretches, or push ups, anything that will get the blood pumping early, but it's important not to tire yourself. Eat a decent breakfast with a large glass of water. Avoid all sugary foods at breakfast, they won't give you any energy for running.

Don't eat much before the run itself, it can slow you down.

It should help, hope so anyway, good luck.
  13. JINGO

Thanks all some great (and sensible!!!! Whats ARRSE coming too?) advice to go on. The poo one makes sense I had to stop half way round the Tough Guy to drop one,the audience werent impressed.
  14. large cod and chips and mushy peas. 1hour before the race starts.
  15. I've run a few half marathons myself and therefore feel qualified to offer some advice. I've yet to actually train up to a race, and most have been last minute type things (last time it was because one of my wife's colleagues dropped out two days before the race). This is NOT a good idea if you're planning on getting a good time/avoiding injury.

Another thing which isn't a good idea is going to a party the night before and staggering home fours before the race. Also do NOT eat large amounts of Tex-Mex type food the night before (for both you and your fellow participants' sake).

Light breakfasts, bananas and plenty of liquids beforehand are highly recommended. You may want to try energy gels during the race as well, but try them during training first in case they don't agree with you.

Best of luck.