Pre-deployment party - thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bandsawman, Feb 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have a young relative who will be going on his first tour later this year, and we want to give him a surprise send-off party (just family and close friends). We will be wanting to print invites and also have a banner at the venue but, not having any military experience ourselves, the question to the forum is: what sort of wording should we use for the party description and the banner - "Bon Voyage", "Good Luck", ...?

2. "Get some"?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. "Keep your head down"
  4. "Anticipate a sudden drop in height"
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I'm guessing you're lukewarm on "Gooks in the wire" then?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. I always preferred to have a piss up on return from ops!

Pre-deployment events have a danger of becoming a wake..
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I agree
    save it to mark his safe return.
    However, if you choose to ignore the advice and have the Wake, sorry send off, then "God's Speed" often does the trick.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A bit like holding a wake for your terminally ill grandmother whilst she awaits the inevitable in A Staffordshire hospital ward. Friends and relatives may get a bit maudlin, especially as alcohol has excellent depressive properties.
  9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Jesus you're a bunch of melodramatic *****.

The bloke might only be an RAF slop jockey who's gonna be spending the next 6 months in a tent in Bastion.

Take him out for a massive curry, then hit a titty bar.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks to all for your advice - we've decided to save the party for his return.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Good plan- just get him a hooker.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Whoa there Ravers! That would be 4 months for us RAF types. Far more civilised! You'll be having us on top cover duties next!
  13. I would still take him out for a curry and a few beers though.
    • Like Like x 1