Pre-Deployment - Herrick

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Stout Fellow, Dec 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all. Seasons greetings to everyone especially all the chaps/chapesses on ops.

New member of ARRSE so bear with me.

My son (RE) is due to deploy on Herrick 15 in October 2011. For those who have completed a tour or are current deployed, I would like to know the following please:

1. Was the training you received pre-deployment good enough to prepare you for what you encountered in Afghan?

2. Regarding your equipment (personal issue/weapon systems/clothing/food/vehicles etc etc) - Was/Is there enough of it and is it 'fit for purpose?'

To all of you currntly on ops, stay safe and 'keep your head down'. For those who have completed a tour/tours, I take my hat off to you. You are a credit to yourselves, your family, your regiment, the British army and your country. True heroes.

2. I smell journo.

Though to answer your question, OPTAG can only deliver so much training. It is then down to unit responsibility to deliver cascade training to its troops. Whether the training prepares the individual or not depends on how much effort he has put in to listening and learning, what his role is out in theatre and his experience in that role both in training and on past operations. As for kit and equipment. It is certainly much better than the first Herrick tour back in 2006 and is suffice. Using the kit and equipment as it was intended to be used also makes a massive difference. Tactical awareness and staying switched on is just as important as the kit and equipment.

3. Agreed. But to answer his questions, yes and yes.

4. Am starting OPTAG/PDT in May of this year and I dont Deploy till Sept. I consider that plenty of time to reteach and train me. I also have seen the massive kit list I need to pick up.
    I have been in touch with the Unit I am deploying with and have had a set of comprehensive Joining Instructions. I have no complaints so far.

5. Umm as a Dad meself, i never asked them questions, and i think their strange, maybe im being cynical and grouchy cos im serving Fat Cav, McMuffins, but i smell journo too. However if not on both counts yes, but thats not my pov, anyway you want frys with that Fat Cav :)

6. Journo! I'd rather be called a fuckin paedophile. You are way off the mark 'Fallschirmjager'. I am ex AAC and left in 1990. As stated, my son is due to deploy on Herrick 15 and I am concerned that he and all those deploying are as well prepared as possible. Don't be so paranoid and judgemental! Fuckin journo.

7. Journo! I'd rather be called a fuckin paedophile. You are way off the mark 'Fallschirmjager'. I am ex AAC and left in 1990. As stated, my son is due to deploy on Herrick 15 and I am concerned that he and all those deploying are as well prepared as possible. Don't be so paranoid and judgemental! Fuckin journo.

8. Journo! I'd rather be called a fuckin paedophile. I am ex AAC and left in 1990. As stated, my son is due to deploy on Herrick 15 and I am concerned that he and all those deploying are as well prepared as possible. Don't be so paranoid and judgemental! Fuckin journo.

9. Calm down. It's Christmas. Many serving soldiers on here will see your questions as suspect as many journo's come on this site wanting gossip and something to put into print. Anyway your questions have been answered.

10. Understood, but given this was my first posting on this site I expected a more friendly first reply than "I smell journo", especially to what I considered to be sincere and sensible questions. A little more tact and diplomacy may be advisable in future before you jump to the wrong conclusions. If yours is typical of the type of response you get on this site, this may be my first and last post.

11. If that's how you feel then fine. I won't miss you.

Bye.

12. Christ, you sound to precious to have been a squaddie!

13. More tact and diplomacy required? Christ, this really is your first visit!

14. Stout Fellow, your initial questions sound very much like a journalist's. Clear, impersonal, and seeking information which could be very useful for a newspaper.

You would have been MUCH more convincing if you added two more:

3) What nifty bits of kit can I get for my son before he deploys?
    4) What comfort items are appreciated while on tour?

Now THOSE sound like a concerned parent's queries.

15. You really do sound like a fecking grade 1 cock, feel free to do one.