PRE CONFLICT AFV RECOGNITION FOR AMERICANS

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Flyingrockdj, Sep 13, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

Just a thought, is someone going to jack this up this time, might be a good idea, may as well include canadian kit as well! spesh after the last one!

2. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

You are of course presuming that they will be able to either understand you or indeed remember what you tell them...

Still, rather be on their side rather than the OPFOR!

3. I heard on the news this morning that the pilot involved in bombing the Canadians are up for manslaughter. The other is up for aiding and abetting ???

Did they ever charge the clowns that took out the warriors in the Gulf?

4. I think that Mr Hoon can allay some of your concerns.

He recently briefed the House on our move to Network-Centric warfare.

this places significant emphasis on information sharing and the importance of superiority in the information domain.  so everyone should know where evereyone else is.

(BTW all desert DPM required by users has been issued, SA80 stoppage issues have been rectified and PAS and servo brakes retro-fitted to all Green Goddesses, I promise to ring you in the morning.............)

5. Yep and the 3 layer principle will work really well for fire fighting as your boots melt into the ground :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. I have it on good authority from a yank soldier that the warrior killers have done time for it.
    Soon after the gulf my comrades and i were leaving a flight at fort brag when we spotted a line of A10s obviously we all took cover ,the bemused american welcoming committe asked why ,and when we said A10s, brit busters!!!!!!!!they said "thats not funny man ,weve got two guys in jail for that"
    We of coarse replied too right its not funny weve got guys in graves for that.
    Hands across the water eh,two countrys seperated dy one common language,money,ability,and john waine films.Cant wait to do it again with our brothers from across the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

7. Be careful what you wish for. Besides without John Wayne we would never have won the Second World War

8. Before they start learning how to recognise our kit they ought to brush up on some of their own vehicles!

I seem to remember seeing a video about an Apache pilot and an M1 Bradley AFV in the Gulf :-[ :-[

9. Given our colonial cousins past record for turning up late for the main event (5 extras that nation) we should let them attack Iraq (or Eye-rack) then wander in just as the dust settles, do a bit of looting and flogging stuff to the locals and p**s of home for tea and medals-just be sure to be back by 1630 thursday of the Crabs will have knocked off

10. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

5 extras???????? gotta be worth at least une grande bouteille du port and a round of drinks in the bar!

11. And they should be weekend duties! ;D

12. In the discussion group us.military.army, several American posters are adamant that the notorious Gulf War (should I say Gulf War 1 ?) friendly fire incident was the fault of the British FO.

Does anybody know anything about this claim? I don't recall it being made when the families of the dead Fusiliers visited the US. Also, the incidents involving the Canadians in Afghanistan, their own people and a Kiwi in Kuwait, and a cable car in, ahem, Italy, suggest outside assistance isn't essential for such an incident.

Thanks.

13. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I shared a mess with the guy who was the BALO for that incident and I know he got a severe grilling.  I think the crucial thing is that they should have checked what they were firing at.  Both vehicles were correctly marked and any one who has done any recognition knows that warriors do not look like any Iraqi kit - if anything they look similar to the Bradley.
    There were a lot of other (fortunately) less serious Spam on Brit incidents during the Gulf as well.  An Abrams/M60 managed to take out a 16/5 CVR(T) with a fin round.  The driver was very lucky not to get killed as it went into the engine block and split his helmet in two.  To add insult to injury after the crew bailed out they machine gunned them!
    Does anyone remember the incident in the Northern no fly zone in the early 90s when a couple of jets shot down two of their own Blackhawks after visually identifying them as Hips!

14. How about this as a safety measure:

We tell the Septics that we are right there alongside them, and then hide in the NAAFI giggling and drinking tea.  The Spams won't notice, and will "hose down the desert" in exactly the same manner, regardless of who is in it. We could even complain about some Blue-on-blue incidents afterwards just to make it realistic.

15. Just out of interest, does anyone know if an American version of ARRSE exists? It would be great to hear the unofficial boyzontheground version (and their views on invading Iraq).