Pre-Army development selection course.. this Thursday

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by parabol, Jan 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I took my BARB test my Careers Adviser told me about the Bursary scheme they do, where they pay you £2,000 in a few installments for finishing college. Despite me being 20 years old and finishing college in about 6 months, my Careers Adviser seemed certain I could do it.

So this Thursday I'm heading down to Grantham barracks to do this course. I exchanged my travel warrant for train tickets today. The schedule only lasts about 4 hours, and it's going to take me 2 hours to get there and back.

I was wondering if anybody had done this course before who could share a bit of insight about it.

We do the 1.5 mile run, heaves and a load carry for the physical tests. We do Ice Breakers and some command tests according to the schedule.

2. i done the pre selection coasre at longmoor barracks in borden...and all ya do is the ice breaker a lesson on wat u get into ur bergan and webbing,den u go 4 dinner(eat as much as u cn coz its all free and ur guna need the nrg 4 ya mile and a half run) team tasks , heaves, jerry can walk then the run! gud luck

3. I done something similar when I joined up. Take as much from it as possible, if you have any questions, just ask them. You may think they are stupid, but the only stupid question is one that's not asked. Plus there will be someone there who will be thinking the same. Just relax on it, and enjoy it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me

4. So am I right in saying you need to complete a course to qualify for the Bursary scheme (I'm assuming that this is the Further Education Bursary scheme) or have I misunderstood?

5. Certain courses make you eligible for the Bursary scheme. I'm doing a Uniformed Services course which is one of the few courses listed. So if you are doing one of the courses, and plan on joining the Army, you might as well get some money! Sorry, I'm not sure what the courses are though.

6. Thanks, I'm sure that a Public Services course falls under the category of elegible courses, which is one of the things I'm considering after 6form (which ends in June) along with several others which would mean more jobs in the army would be open to me, but am I right in saying that you must first complete a 1.5 mile run (etc etc) in order to be accepted for the FE bursary (as well as take the accepted course in college)? I'm due to go to the AFCO this Friday so I'll ask then too.

7. Public Services is listed, and is eligible for the Bursary.
    and to qualify for the bursary, you have to pass an ADSC, i believe.

8. Classic, eat too much and here's the heaves you will be doing. [​IMG]

9. I chucked 3 times during my run, earned a small cheer from the officers watching :D

10. Yeah Public Services and Uniformed Services are the same thing, it's the course I'm on. I have a habit of calling it Uniformed though.

11. It's actually known as Public Services (Uniformed)
    =P
    though having said that..i've yet to find a Public Services (Naked)

12. Ah I see. You wouldn't have a clue as to whether the run time for the 1.5 miler needs to be the same as for the specific job you desire, or is there a set time specifically for the bursary? I'm going to go in and enquire about it on Friday, with a few other things. Thanks.

13. It doesn't say anything about meeting fitness requirements or times in my booklet. I'm sure good results will help, but overall I can bet they are looking for the effort and enthusiasm you put in.

The physical tests make up very little of the day. Most of it is Ice Breakers and group tasks. So they are probably looking for good character rather than high fitness. I know I'll do well on the fitness tests, a little nervous with the Ice Breakers as I do tend to stutter sometimes when under pressure.

14. ...lol i was ok ... some people r differant...when i dne my selection the lads were saying dnt each to much brekky in the morning b4 ur run ul end up bringing it back up again...i got straight in there and stacked up shit loads of grub....and i came second on the run.

15. What time did you get to come second?