pre and post op procedure

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hiraeth, Jul 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im due to have arthroscopy surgery on my knee early next week and i was wondering if anybody could give me any details of pre and post op procedure? Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. pre op - you'll worry
    post op - you'll ache

bupa web thingy

says it better and more factually than i
    and ouch :D
  3. just had one myself a couple of months ago
    pre-op: go in, have mutitude of forms to fill out, be seen by surgeon and anaesthetist, sign consent forms, get given a razor, shave from top of thigh to ankles, bleed a lot.
    Nil by mouth from midnight. Have nurse come in first thing and reshave your attempt. Go to theatre.

Post op: Leg in bandage, set of crutches. I was in hospital for 4 days post op! I felt great and was using crutches but docs wanted me to stay in.
    Get discharged, keep leg up when ever possible. See doctor for review. Have stitches taken out. Have physio.

I was very lucky, although I had a torn cartlidge at the rear and frayed at the front plus a large collection of Baker cysts, I was mobile quite early on. 7 weeks later I am running again.
  4. Thanks nebapneb, iv got that worrying bit nailed, although im more worried about trying to sort out my sick leave and physio than the actual op, That link was good, the video was more informative than anybody i have talked to about it (well easier to understand)

edited to add

Cheers FilbertFox, i was going to book the wife into local hotel but dont think i'll bother now, you might have just saved me a fortune :D